Height of Windows Sill

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TeeBeeCee

Height of Windows Sill

#1 Post by TeeBeeCee »

I want to replace 4 windows in my living room. The window sill is 11" above the carpet. Do I have to get windows with tempered glass? What is the required height for windows without tempered glass? From where to where do I measure? Help?! :roll:

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Yes you need tempered glass. The allowable height is anything over 18" from the finished floor.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You may not need it if the lower pane is under 9 sq. feet. Also, the window has to be within 3 feet of a walkway.

My advice is to check your local codes as many local boards change the rules for their cities.

You may also want to get it even if you legally don't need it if you think for instance a child may accidently break it while playing. Better safe than sorry.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

residential
1. any stairwell
2. within 6' of tub drain
3. doors
4. within 2' of door and/or swing
5. all three of the following( must have all 3 conditions)
a. >9.0 sq ft
b. within 3' walkway or could be walkway
c. within 18" of floor

windowrep

#5 Post by windowrep »

in ohio tempered safety glass is required 1. inside a tub area in bathroom 2. within 18" of floor and over 9 square feet 3. within 12" of a door. as you can see it is better to just check with your local building as codes from location to location. howver if safety is an issue it is always wise to error on the side of caution. the cost is not something that will break you. usually around 5-8 bucks a square foot. worth the cost should something ever happen. as w4u stated