Simonton

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MJB

Simonton

#1 Post by MJB »

I understand from reading some of the posts on this incredibly helpful site that Home Depot and Sears sell Simonton windows. Are they specially designed for Sears or Home Depot, or are they the same windows Simonton sells through its other dealers?

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

In both cases the top of the line window from Depot and Sears are basically the same as the Reflections 5500 for the best window and the same as the Reflections 5050 for the drop window.

Where there is small difference is in the standard glass systems; with Depot & the Sear top end window the standard glass is 7/8 double strength double pane insulated glass w/ low-e/argon. The Simonton Reflections 5500 is standard with 3/4 “ single strength duel pane glass w/ low-e/argon.

Depot and Sears top end is a little better in it’s standard form but the Reflections 5500 has glass upgrades like 1â€

MJB

#3 Post by MJB »

Thanks, Bill. This is helpful. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Home Depot came to my house and gave me a bid. Their bid was within the price range I am hoping to spend. Are the Reflections 5500 good windows? Is there a better window out there for about the same price I should consider? Also, you mentioned that the Reflections 5500 can be upgraded to include a 1" super spacer (not through Home Depot or Sears). Is that an important upgrade?

I live in Alexandria, VA, so any recommendations from anyone would be welcome. I understand from this board that Schuco are the Mercedes of windows, but I am afraid they are probably out of my price range if they come with a Mercedes price.

Thank you!

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

Yes, the SS is far superior to the PPG Intercept. Not only from a standpoint of conductivity but it will also maintain the seal much longer and retain the insulating gas. The spacer and its seal is also a key factor for the soft-coat Low-e as any infiltrating oxygen will destroy the coatings.

FenEx

The above is a recent reply by FenEx to that exact question, I just copied it and pasted it here; he has done in depth research on spacer systems.

You may want to try Simonton’s website www.simonton.com click on homeowner then dealer locator enter your zip code and see if an Impressions dealer serves your area. You may be able to get the 9800 with SS for the same number that Depot gave you for the 6500.

Bill
Uneeda Window

MJB

#5 Post by MJB »

Thanks, Bill. Again, I really apprecaite your thoughts. I looked at the Simonton website. Unfortunately, the closest dealer that sells the Impressions line is about 100 miles away. I think I will run over to a dealer that sells the Reflections line and see what they can do for me.

Any other suggestions as to brands of windows I should consider in the same price range?

Thank you!

smarsh

#6 Post by smarsh »

Hi,

I've been following this discussion and seen other posts on Simonton. They sound like a good product and fair pricing. Wasn't there also a 7500 model or something? I'm a bit confused as to the different models avail. from Simonton dealers and NOT from Depot or Sears. Can you clarify that in simple terms?

Thanks! :wink:

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

Yes Simonton does produce a 7500 model. On the West Coast this is the top of the line window in the West Coast Simonton Impressions line. In other parts of the country is had been only available as a dealer private label line until it’s recent introduction at Norandex distributed as a window called Polar Wall.

Everything I am about to describe applies to Simonton product availability east of the Rocky Mountains. Simonton is kind of like GM in that they have different product lines available (Impressions, Reflections & Prism) usually a dealer or distributor will have one of the listed lines and in each product line you have the top of that particular line and a drop window.

The top of the line models will have heavier framing and a better standard glass systems compared to the drop window and the top of the line will have glass upgrades available.

When comparing the best windows in each model line the Impressions 9800 and the Polar Wall (7500) are the best. The Reflections 5500 and the Prism Platinum are basically the same. Each product line share the same drop windows.

Once you determine what product lines are available in you area I would be happy to help you further.

Bill
Uneeda Window Of NJ

MJB

#8 Post by MJB »

I have researched Simonton's in my area, and the local dealer (about 15 miles away) near my home in Alexandria, VA sells the Reflections and Pro Finish lines. From previous posts, I have learned that upgrading to a super spacer in the 5500 line makes for a pretty good window. I am also considering Marvin's Infinity windows. Would you recommend one over the other? Is there another window brand in a similar price range I should be considering.

Thank you for any insight you can provide!