Mostly for Fenex

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HipKat

Mostly for Fenex

#1 Post by HipKat »

Any familiarfity with the NWAS (National Window Advisory Service)??
www.windowadvisor.com

We are members, and I'm going thru certification testing right now.

Guy, Crown Renovations is here, too.

I think this is exactly right up your alley, Fenex

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Hipcat

I am always a proponent for further education. I checked out the sites for AWDI and for NWAS. Any certification is only worth what it represents. Can you share some information about the accreditation and certification process? What are their information sources? On their site they mention that they perform an energy audit... what do they test for and how? Do any government organizations or public institutions acknowledge the accuracy of these audits? I am not trying to play devils's advocate here, I am trying to get more info.

I am only asking these questions as they didn't provide the information on the sites. We both know that there are hundreds of industry and builder associations that sell a logo which really doesn't stand for squat but it is to make contractors look affiliated to boost consumer confidence. Shall I begin a list of well-known but worthless logo affiliation tags? Nah.

Let me know what's behind their programs when you get a chance.

HipKat

#3 Post by HipKat »

i just ran up here really quick and I'll explain it all to you when get a chance.
Thanks for replying.
Quickly though, the audit is based on the actual home, the real cost per unit of heat, elect, etc, for that house. The cost is based on actual price, no discounts, no haggling, no BS period, with 3 options, all costs represented.Obviously, I'm still just the consultant who on the first call, takes the information, sends it back to NWAS, who compiles it, generates a comprehensive 30 plus or minus page report including the estimate based on my company's products for the job that they are looking for. Minimum of three options, based on price, grade, insatll package, etc.
Tom Hopkins may call it order taking, but he also pushes the comprehensive sale over the traditional sale, and that's what this is.
That's vaugue, I know.
I'll get into it more when I get a chance.

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

Lost your emial, fenex.
Rather talk more about it off the board for now.
Mostly, I just wonder what you think about it.

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

My email is Fenex@comcast.net.

I even called the organization yesterday to ask them about the program. They responded with, "I can't give you any information, you need to give all of your contact information first and we will have someone in your area call you to schedule an appointment. Sounds alot like a lead generating "certification" to me. I asked a second time for just some basic info on what their audit consists of.. they responded with the same.

It appears the reps simply run basic r-value configs on new vs. old windows like many so-called energy saving sites offer... THAT isn't even close to an energy audit. A certified and recognized energy audit MUST address the entire structure. With detailed wall, window and roofing composition breakdowns, air-infiltration testing, HVAC and appliance usage/performance calculations and about 50-100 other things. I can give you suggestions of much better avenues to travel if you seek additional education in the industry. Perhaps not the answer you were looking for but I'm just being honest. I was sincere about offering some suggestions that will put you wayyyyyyyy ahead of the curve. Let me know by email.

Fenex