Proper installation technique

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LeadFoot

Proper installation technique

#1 Post by LeadFoot »

Isn't it necessary to remove the interior trim pieces around the window for a proper installation? One window company rep says that isn't necessary and it just sounds dubious to me. How would you get the old window out otherwise?

Windows on Washington

Re: Proper installation technique

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on the window. Most installation methods seek to leave the interior trim intact and only disturb the outside because it will be capped and integrated into the finished trim work.

advanced_energy

#3 Post by advanced_energy »

not at all. most installs are from the inside;at least replacements are and the trim is most often not removed. the interior stop would be taken off then put back on but thats about it.
keep in mind with window installations there are times when a contractor has to change his game plan once he starts removing the window as there are situations that come up that cannot be seen without removing the window so do'nt get upset with your contractor if that does happen..not always but sometimes it does.

advanced_energy

#4 Post by advanced_energy »

just to clarify,a new construction is from the outside and replacement is from the inside.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

and just to clarify...if he is asking about inside trim, I was speaking to the fact that he probably wants to preserve it, therefore you would install from out to in.

We deal in a lot of historic properties in this area with old decorative of painted over casings and interior stops. We try to leave them as intact as possible and disturb the outside first because it is going to be capped after the fact in most cases.

LeadFoot

#6 Post by LeadFoot »

Thank you so much for the quick reassurance. You guys are such pros.

advanced_energy

#7 Post by advanced_energy »

it does'nt sound like its a historical home..if its not, install from the inside for replacement windows is DEFINITELY the more common approach. at least around here.

jsmomo

#8 Post by jsmomo »

i have been installing windows for 16 years and have never remove a inside stop to install a wood window. we always remove the outside stops that away your capping can be installed into the sides of the window. everybody installs windows different i even had one installer working for me that was scared of heights so he did everything from the inside he didn't last long here.

advanced_energy

#9 Post by advanced_energy »

thats funny..yeah, everyone does it differently..no wrong way. around here most guys do it from the inside..
we had a guy on a ladder capping and some neighborhood kid started kicking the ladder;this guy was never afraid of heights..anyway,he climbs down the ladder and chases the kid and grabs him then proceeds to scare the heck out of him(did'nt hurt him)..after that,he goes to the ladder ,starts to climb then comes right back down.the guy could'nt go up a ladder again for almost a year and even now he's shakey. he was up rather high on an old colonial built in the very early 1900's.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There are a loy of old Carradco windows around me. They do not have a removable int stop, so we cut off the screen stop and do out to in. Also if someones interior paint is premium we do the same approach.

advanced_energy

#11 Post by advanced_energy »

as i said certain area's require different methods. when doing an interior replacement we NEVER use pure silicone. we use a premium caulk with some silicone. outside,we use a quad.
i remember doing a town home where they had sheet rock returns and it was more labor intensive and we had to charge more for that sort of install. by in large an interior install is easy and clean unless its a sheet rock reurn but still not a problem,just more money for the home owner.Long Island has plenty of town homes. some are bigger than your normal home.lots of wall street money in LI ,at least there was.

LeadFoot

#12 Post by LeadFoot »

It sounds like I should ask the estimators to walk me through their typical installation so I wouldn't presume one way and be surprised if they do another. I don't have anything fancy around the windows, just regular painted stock wood moulding mitered together. By the way, if I have some air coming through where the trim meets the wall, I just need to caulk it, right?

advanced_energy

#13 Post by advanced_energy »

let the contractor do his thing. by totally pre-occupying yourself with the installation,you are just going to make yourself confused and the contractor aggrevated,although he or she will never admit that.lol these forums are great but sometimes and homeowner gets too much info to where a very good contractor has his own way of doing things and just because someone on here does it different,you are going to think he is doing it wrong.. relax and let your guy do his thing. of course asking questions is a good thing but getting all these different opinions can be a real detriment.

advanced_energy

#14 Post by advanced_energy »

one more thing you mentioned about air coming through; forget about that; thats the old window.let your guys rip everything out and they will seal it up..nothing complicated. i'm sure they will do what they are supposed to do. i just had an elderly woman start telling me i should be doing this and that just because another contractor said so and she also claimed to reas something on the net. i told her how i did it and thats my way of installing. i got the job but i can see how some people can make a simple window install into a nightmare for the contractor.

buddy110

#15 Post by buddy110 »

An outside set is the cleanest way to affect an install. I have installers who never use a ladder. They do everthing from inside, including capping. We remove the outside stop, then slide the window out the opening and pull it back to the interior stop tight and into a bed of silicone. Then we support the sill, fill the voids with foam, replace the outside stops and cap. You have to lean out the window which can be a pain but it can be done on all but the smallest of windows. Just remove the sashes and lean out.