Replacement vinyl window with U-Factor of .30 ok for Chicago

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
marlon71usa

Replacement vinyl window with U-Factor of .30 ok for Chicago

#1 Post by marlon71usa »

I just got a few quotes for a few replacement windows in my home near downtown Chicago. I was leaning towards the Milgard Tuscany series having a u factor of .30. Just wondering will this u factor be fine for the sometimes harsh Chicago winters?

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement vinyl window with U-Factor of .30 ok for Chicago

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Probably not. Chicago is certainly what I would consider a harsh climate.

There is a very well respected member of this board that is an industry professional and can be contacted via the "Get a Quote" button. Window4U is his screen name and he is one of the best.

ht[url]tp://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com/forum ... 327#p14327[/url]

Here is one of his threads.

whaas

#3 Post by whaas »

I'm in Milwaukee and I've been told my clear double panes from 1995 + storm window is a u-factor of approximately 0.42.

My home is 2,000 sq.ft and my most expensive energy bill in the last 2 years was $150 (gas and electric) this past January. I wouldn't get too hung up on the u-factor, just make sure you get .30 or less if you want the tax credit. Thats not to say that you'll see savings between a 0.3 and 0.19....it just might take 7 years to get your ROI for the upgrade.

I got quotes on Gorell 5300, Soft-lite Element, Alside Shefield and Alside Preservation.

For me the Soft-lite Element seem to have the biggest bang for the buck, but the Gorell guy did a competitor match AND an upgrade...so I went Gorell.

advanced_energy

#4 Post by advanced_energy »

you can never go wrong with gorell. they really do make a good window. some people don't like that "millwork design" but i certainly do. seeing a gorell was my foray into the high end window industry.

dutch

#5 Post by dutch »

Windows on Washington wrote:Probably not. Chicago is certainly what I would consider a harsh climate.

There is a very well respected member of this board that is an industry professional and can be contacted via the "Get a Quote" button. Window4U is his screen name and he is one of the best.

[urlh]ttp://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com/forum ... 327#p14327[/url]

Here is one of his threads.
That URL got munched, so hopefully this will fix it:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2885&p=14327#p14327

marlon71usa,

As Windows on Washington said, Window4u works in your area and you can get a quote from him. As stated, he is one of the most respected members here, and you are quite lucky to have the opportunity because after finding the window you then have to make sure it is installed correctly.

OK, the link works, but it's not really a window4u link. Marlon, just look for a post by
window4u (IL) he posts every day and you can see a "contact" or "get a quote" button next to his name. Or he can just reply to this post and give me a break! :)

marlon71usa

#6 Post by marlon71usa »

I have made an appointment for an estimate with windows4u for this thursday...