Sunrise and Seaway Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
redkayak

Sunrise and Seaway Windows

#1 Post by redkayak »

Saw a rep today who showed me Sunrise windows with Ultra-U Plus glass and windows from Seaway. Sunrise made in MI and Seaway in Erie, PA. Does anyone have and experience with dealing in these windows and any pros and cons of each. I did like the Sunrise windows and the build quality of them. Thanks for any answers.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

Don't know much about Seaway, but I know Sunrise are decent windows.

redkayak

#3 Post by redkayak »

Thanks Hip. For the Sunrise window I was quoted $972 for two windows (39 3/4 X 48 3/4), $1278 for three windows (35 3/4 X 45 1/4), and $308 for one window (27 3/4 X 37 1/4). All windows are double hung with Ultra-U Plus insulated glass. Does this sound reasonable? Of course prices include installation and taxes. I would also like to cap the outside wooden frames around the window with vinyl and was quoted $50 for each window. Is this a reasonable price? Thanks for your replies.

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

Other than paying for the capping, those seem like ok prices

redkayak

#5 Post by redkayak »

Thanks again Hip. Don't know much (ok ...nothing) about windows, so are you saying you think they should include capping the outside wooden frame and sill for the price quoted for the window or do you think it should be less than $50 per window. Again thanks for your help.

handyman19619

#6 Post by handyman19619 »

not a bad price at all
who did you get your quote from Empire?

redkayak

#7 Post by redkayak »

No I got it from a local window company. Not even sure who Empire is.

OK I see where Empire is now. Do they sell Sunrise also? I live about 25 miles from Deleware.

HipKat

#8 Post by HipKat »

I don't know how all comanies work, but i know the one's I've worked for and the one's I'm familiar with in my area do not charge extra for capping. that doesn't mean that's the way all or most companies nationwide are. Of course that could be a hidden cost in the overall price of the windows, too. Obviously the aluminum coil isn't free. But, since the price of the windiows is, in my opinion, very good, the no, 50.00 a window isn't bad. Just make sure they nail the caps in the sides and not in the face like some companies that I know do.... (The face menaing the part you can see looking directly at the window from the outside). It just looks better if you can't see the nails.

handyman19619

#9 Post by handyman19619 »

Last time I dealt with mike the owner he did but things can change give them a call all I know is his cell number look up their land line . ask for mike vangundy and bypass the other salesmen he will come out himself he is a really good guy

handyman19619

#10 Post by handyman19619 »

Hip
Alot of companies in my area have started charging for coil work seperately. Not as a deceptive practice but as a way of making windows affordable. Although this is only good for standard wood drops not for metal removals. $50 per opening is not alot to some people but to others its the difference between doing it or not. The windows will still work great and look great inside. $50 is reasonable $1 a foot for coil $5 a tube for novaflex caulk (the best in my opinion) with labor. Not a bad price.
Most companies build it into their price but as i said are changing in my area to an as needed or wanted basis.
I have done a few homes in my area that it would have been a shame to cover the fine wood work that was still in excellent condition.
Some that I have done needed the exterior wrapped badly but it was the difference between buying and not buying for the owners.