Need some advice on Vinyl windows please :)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
goose

Need some advice on Vinyl windows please :)

#1 Post by goose »

I am really a newb when it comes to this stuff guys so please bear with me. I'm going to have have 5 double hung windows installed.

So far I have only had 1 person come out and that was Home Depot. He quoted me 3000 dollars for 5 of the 6500 series windows. 1 is approx 31x50 and the other 4 are 31x42 approx.

Nothing for nothing but 600 dollars a window seems a bit high especially for a townhome I'm looking to be out of in 5 years.

What should I be looking at $$ wise that is for a reasonable window? I've seen on some other threads mentioning Pella's at Lowes. Does Pella offer a full vinyl window?

Home Depot really pushed the reasoning for the $$ for their windows as the 50 year guarantee( I'll be dead by then lol) and how that price covers all the wood work needed etc Still seems real high to me.

Should I be looking at Champion Windows, New Pro or even some place like windowworldinc.com which seems to good to be true at 189 any size doublehung installed?

Confused right now.

Bottom line is I want to get a decent window installed without breaking the bank...not like I'm going to be here forever but I do need new windows.

Any comments welcomed

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

Home Depot = BAD!!

goose

#3 Post by goose »

Perhaps but I had to start somewhere :wink:

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

If you're gonna be out of your house in about 5 years, then no, you don't wantto spend money on top of the line windows, I'm guessing, although in 5 years you'll have paid them off, most likely, boosted the equity in your home somewhat, and made a nice sale point in that the windows are DONE, never need to be redone by the new owners AND they're top of the line quality windows!!
I have no idea who's in your neck of the woods, but look for these things in any other windows. Truly 100% vinyl constructioon. Welded corners, Double LowE or LowE² OR lowE quad and most of all, NO ALUMINUM SPACERS between the windows. Aluminum clad windows (Aluminum inside the vinyl lineals), are a no-no, too.
I'd stay away from heat mirror too.
Other than that, you should be ok.
Oh, and don't let a salesman push you around.

goose

#5 Post by goose »

Thanks Hip...appreciate the input :D