decision time....

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
profFrink

decision time....

#1 Post by profFrink »

OK, I'm posting this message here and to the sister board, to get as much feedback as possible. For the past 1+ month, I have spent countless hours gathering quotes, researching windows, and researching companies, all to arrive at this point. I never imagined I would have spent this much time making this decision, and just like many of the other window shoppers out there, I have family and friends telling me I'm crazy to spend this much on a window "when I can get windows from HD for $150-$250 and install them myself (or have someone I know do it)" - I tend to laugh at those people now.... but anyways, here are the windows I have gotten quotes on in my price range. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just the best window I can get for the money I want to spend. I originally wanted to get something for under/around $400 installed in Atlanta, GA.

Thermal Industries DH500 (lowE, argon) - $360 per window
Alside Excalibur (lowE, argon) - $410 per window
Alside Sheffield (lowE, argon) - $460 per window
Simonton 5500 $445 per
Gorell 5100 AC Master $448 per (this took quite a bit of negotiation)
Others $500+

All of these are for 18 double hung windows all around 30" x 51" installed with capping/foam. I really liked the Gorells, they seem to have quite favorable reviews on these boards, and the company seemed impressive with a solid warranty, and I think I'd prefer these to the Alside or the Simonton. But a part of me still just wants to consider the Thermal Industries - mostly because of the price. I guess I am just trying to justify in my head the ~$1700 price difference.... the dh500 seemed nice, very basic, very cheap, U/SHGC values were good ~.30 (same as Gorell). I could tell the quality was just not comparable to the Gorell but when it comes down to it - that is a lot of money to me. I know, you get what you pay for, but to be honest, I don't remember a single moment in my lifetime where I've ever heard of anyone having problems with windows on their house (before reading this board of course :wink: )

handyman19619

#2 Post by handyman19619 »

TI no
excaliber good at 320 with low e argon and cap
sheffield looks good but doesnt operate as well as excaliber
But if you get it for around 340 with low e argon and cap its nice just have the installers move the balancers up on each side of top sash 3/4" it will lock much easier
simonton 5500 no better than excaliber
never dealt with the other one

profFrink

atlanta market pricing

#3 Post by profFrink »

Is it just me or does the market in Atlanta seem to have much higher pricing than most other places? Everything I've seen in previous posts in my research, it looks like in most places people can get a good quality window for around $350, yet I can't find anything good here for under $450... and trust me, I've shopped around a lot. At $450, I almost want to just go to Lowe's, buy Thermastars for $140, have a buddy install them for $100 a pop, and they'll end up being half the price. Obviously the person will need to install them correctly, and warranty will basically be non-existant, but it's still tempting....

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

450 a window for any market is phenominal if it's a good quality window. Very good price. Especially 81 GUI windows.
Personally having looked at Gorrells, I don't like them at all.