Simonton, Great Lakes & Alside - Help me make a choice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
neidermeyer

Simonton, Great Lakes & Alside - Help me make a choice

#1 Post by neidermeyer »

I've been looking through this site for a while and I've gotten a bunch of estimates. I'm looking to replace 7 double hung, 5 sliders, 1 casement and a sliding door. The installers & windows that have impressed me the most are for the Simonton Prism Platinum/5500's, the Alside Sheffield and the Great Lakes Grandview 4000 & 5000 windows. All of the windows should qualify for the $1500 tax credit. The quotes I have been given are as follows:

Alside Sheffield (with Climatech & Super spacer): $6400
Simonton Prism Platinum/5500(w/ Super Spacer): $7700
Great Lakes Grandview 4000: $7500
Great Lakes Grandview 5000 (triple pane): $8300

From what I've read, the Sheffields are the most favorable of the Alsides though not as well received as some other windows. The Simonton's seem to be a favorite on here but are they worth the extra $1300 (20%). I haven't really seen much info on the Grandviews though I've read that Great Lakes do make good windows. FWIW I live in the Denver area, and though price isn't my only concern, i do want to get the most value for my dollar and return on investment. ANy advice, tips, suggestions, comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
Last edited by neidermeyer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Simonton, Great Lakes & Alside - Help me make a choice

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

if you like the Simonton ask them for their best price, last chance.

neidermeyer

#3 Post by neidermeyer »

Does anyone have any tips for me, I really want to make the right decision? I'd really like to know more about the Grandviews.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I met with a Great Lakes rep today and was not impressed with the product.
The difference between the 4000 and 5000 is foam in the sash and an option for triple pane, but no Super Spacer.
I would ask the Simonton dealer/installer for some help with the pricing.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

Anthony,

Why do you continuously insist that homeowners try and beat the contractor down on his price? I think the pricing on the Simonton Windows is a very fair price and I'd take the Simonton over the Sheffields any day. Apparently, your companys price is negotiable, which means you very likely start the customer out at a higher price than you are willing to accept and then play the price drop game. If the customer agrees to your highest price do you go ahead and charge them that price? I find that tactic very unprofessional and if someone was trying to sell me something using that tactic, I'd show them the door. Not everyone operates that way and to suggest that a customer try and beat the contractor down, when it's likely the contractor has already given his best price, is insulting.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Copied from my previous posting...

The founding principle of this website, and its sister website, is to educate customers on the facts of window installations and material choices. While most contractors will comment on price to the extent that they might recommend that you get other quotes, we try to avoid specific commentary on pricing. Prices from area to area can vary greatly and to offer specific recommendations is a slippery slope.

We want consumers to be as educated as possible and make rational decisions armed with the education that they can get from a website such as this. If you are educated on windows, installation techniques, and proper material evaluations, you will be able to evaluate the contractor more aptly than just looking at his price.

Would you want to do business with a contractor that did not know what he/she was talking about because their price was the lowest?

Food for thought.

buddy110

#7 Post by buddy110 »

Jack,
I think most here will lean towards the Simonton product. Great lakes does make some nice stuff, and their CS is very good. See if someone can show you the Simonton 9800, or Plygem lifestyles. They're a bit more attractive than what you've seen so far. Alside would be my last choice.

GL

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Skydog,
I do not over inflate my prices from the start. But I do listen to my customers and try to meet their needs.
I have not told anybody what price they should pay or offer.
My suggestion is for the HO to get off the fence find a product and an installation company that they like and then firgure out how to get a project in on budget.
That can be do less windows, buy a less exspensive window, change the specs on the current offering, finace the job, or in the case of some save longer.
In the end we all want to be happy with what we got, both HO and contractor.

neidermeyer

#9 Post by neidermeyer »

Thanks for the help. The other thing i forgot to mention is that the Grandview 5000 windows were quoted for triple pane whereas the other are all double pane. Does this change your recommendations at all?

Also one of the salesmen who offers both the simonton and the great lakes said that if my budget was real tight, he would recommend the Atrium 300 Series. How do these compare?