Replacement Window Advice in DC Area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
chickenchin

Replacement Window Advice in DC Area

#1 Post by chickenchin »

We are currently looking at replacing 25 windows. We have had 3 reps.out
to give us quotes and show us samples. Thompson Creek was plastic and took
up alot of the window. We currently have Anderson wood. Then Anderson Renewal
came out with a composite window. Wow. We thought we'd see a wood option at least.
Then Window Nation came out. They advertised wood window options but had non
to show. We liked the Soft-lite slim version, starts with a "B". But then they
showed us the Imperial LS. My husband preferred this and we were quoted
$14,000! I thought the Imperial was nice on the inside but seemed bulky on the outside.
The quote was inexpensive so we went for it. But if it's too good to be true......
Also, some of the comments I've since read indicate frosting up ( we live outside washington dc) and Window Nation has not been in our area long how do I know about their installers?
We could go with Anderson wood from Home Depot and then try to find an installer, but
how overwhelming would that be? The ratings all indicate insultaed vinyl is the wasy to go.
Who has the best???

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Window Advice in DC Area

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The "B" window that you are referring to from Soft-Lite is either the Barrington or the Bainbridge. The Bainbridge is the prettier of the two.

The Imperial LS is a good product but is thicker on the lower sash profile (edge of frame to edge of glass) than the Bainbridge or Barrington (they are the same on the inside).

If you do not require wood, you will be wasting your money and have a less efficient and less airtight window.

I don't think you will find anyone on this board that is educated on windows that is floored by the RBA product. If you do not like vinyl, there are far better options in the composite, fiberglass, and clad offerings than the RBA window.

Best way to know about a particular companies installers is to inspect their work and look at the finish quality of it. Feel free to ask for other previous customers to call upon as well.

chickenchin

#3 Post by chickenchin »

I'm ignorant. What does RBA stand for? Ok, you don't sound fond of vinyl.
Can you/ will you suggest windows? Brands or dealers?

jsmomo

#4 Post by jsmomo »

rba stands for renewal by anderson i would suggest soft-lite, simonton, gorell, vista in no specific order they are all great vinyl windows. i agree with wow on the wood windows

JScott

#5 Post by JScott »

I believe WOW services your area, knows what performs best for your neck of the woods and I strongly recommend contacting him. I am fond of the gorell, softlite and Infinity from Marvin. The only positive feedback you will find on the RBA is from RBA dealers or totally mis-informed homeowners who bought a brand name product based on the advertising.

Good luck :mrgreen:

randy

#6 Post by randy »

If I may make a suggestion. There is a regular professional here, Windows on Washington, who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He carries a variety of products, and can be contacted via the "contact" button at the bottom of his posts. I am certain you will find him to be a man of integrity.

buddy110

#7 Post by buddy110 »

randy wrote:If I may make a suggestion. There is a regular professional here, Windows on Washington, who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He carries a variety of products, and can be contacted via the "contact" button at the bottom of his posts. I am certain you will find him to be a man of integrity.
X2 :!: