Anyone heard of this companies' windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mcbrizzle

Anyone heard of this companies' windows

#1 Post by mcbrizzle »

I recently was given an in home presentation by a member of Archer Exteriors a.k.a. Better Homes. The salesman presented only one type of window, triple pane, double hung etc... I can not find any details on-line, I was hoping someone was familiar with this product and/or company. The price for replacing 14 windows came to around $700 per window. First time homeowner, would appreciate any impartial wisdom I can get. P.S. South Jersey

TheWindowNerd

Re: Anyone heard of this companies' windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Who did they say mfgs the window?
In your area you should try to see the following windows: OKNA, Simonton, Soft-lite.
Also get quotes with dual pane super spacer low e argon as a minimum base price point.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Archer's headquarters is like only 10 miles from us. They have what I consider to be a compound of a building. Must be a couple of million just to construct. One of the biggest buildings that I've ever seen since most of us are housed in industrial parks or smallers showrooms with sometype of storage. Their claim to fame from what I know is the new construction market. I would see their trucks heading down to Delaware everyday during the new construction boom as they seemed to have contracts with several large regional/national builders to hang the siding.

Recently, I've seen a large shift with them into the remodling industry. IMO a good sales rep would have at least left brochures so that the homeowners can perform all of the research that they need to perform to make a well informed decsion. Let us know what windows they are trying to sell you.

pondscum

#4 Post by pondscum »

As I've been researching windows and local installers, it's been frustrating to me that so many installers don't list the brands they sell on their web sites. It seems to me like basic information that would help them sell their services. Do manufacturers not let them advertise the brand names unless they pay a fee, or what?

That said, I've been staring at enough manufacturer web sites by now that I can often identify the unnamed brand carried by a given installer just from the pictures and buzzwords.... :roll: This is not exactly how I want to spend my life, though....

windowdude

#5 Post by windowdude »

pondscum wrote:As I've been researching windows and local installers, it's been frustrating to me that so many installers don't list the brands they sell on their web sites.
I think it's because they don't want the competition to know what they have. If I put on my website that I sell Simonton, then it's easy for a sleazy salesman to go buy a cheapo Simonton, rough it up a little, and then show it to you, the homeowner, as their "kill window", show you all the problems with it (legit or not) and tell you "See what you get if you buy windows from windowdude?"

I guess another angle is that it doesn't matter to them that you know what window they sell because they figure if they can get their salesman's shoes in your door, you'll be dumb enough to buy whatever it is they're pushing.

:)

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

It may also be that they carry a variety of windows and are more inclined to come to your home and recommend a window based on your needs and budget.

Successful remodeling websites don't try and sell you on their products online, they exist to project credibility and competence.

windowdude

#7 Post by windowdude »

Yep there are a lot of reasons, some innocent, some not so innocent. The time and energy it takes to maintain and update a website is another reason, not to mention having to dedicate resources to keep up with the technology.

I will say this; I can't tell you how many people, especially over the past say...two years, have asked me the same thing: "Why can't you guys just put this information on your website?" It's frustrating for more and more people who are getting used to having instant info at their fingertips to have to wait days or weeks for an in-home demo to find out whether or not they even want to deal with a company or are interested in their products.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

If they are interested enough, they will invite you to their home. As I said, a good website should only answer the question of whether this is a company a potential customer would want to do business with. Most of our customers don't want to make choosing a window a long and complicated process. They want to do business with an established, reputable company who's recommendations have credibility with them and make sense. Most could care less if the U-factor is .28 or .29. What they want is a quality product that we will come and fix if they ever have a problem with it.

windowdude

#9 Post by windowdude »

Skydawggy wrote:As I said, a good website should only answer the question of whether this is a company a potential customer would want to do business with.
I agree that will always be enough for a certain percentage of web surfers. But there is a whole new information-oriented breed out there (like me!) that wants that info now and that does care about u-values and numbers...and that's the same percentage of people (see the post above) who get frustrated when a company is not forthright about its products and specs.

When I look for something online and I can't get the info from the website I'm looking at, I move on. I know there are plenty of other places to get the info I'm after, from people who aren't shy about giving it to me.

Whether or not a company wants to post its info on its website is up to that company, but those that don't are deterring some potential customers who would like to have that information and who may have liked to do business with that company, but will move on in search of the information they feel is important.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

I know that Archer does carry ProVia as one of their door manufacturers. Can't figure out what windows they offer? The only knock that I have with their business practices is that they put their yard signs all along the local roads around my parts and it's not legal.

Skydawggy

#11 Post by Skydawggy »

windowdude wrote:
Skydawggy wrote:As I said, a good website should only answer the question of whether this is a company a potential customer would want to do business with.
I agree that will always be enough for a certain percentage of web surfers. But there is a whole new information-oriented breed out there (like me!) that wants that info now and that does care about u-values and numbers...and that's the same percentage of people (see the post above) who get frustrated when a company is not forthright about its products and specs.

When I look for something online and I can't get the info from the website I'm looking at, I move on. I know there are plenty of other places to get the info I'm after, from people who aren't shy about giving it to me.

Whether or not a company wants to post its info on its website is up to that company, but those that don't are deterring some potential customers who would like to have that information and who may have liked to do business with that company, but will move on in search of the information they feel is important.

I don't disagree with you. What I am trying to help you understand is that a company cannot be all things to all people. If you try, you will spend all your time and energy doing so and will never establish your niche in the market.

I seriously doubt you would consider carrying a very low end window and selling it in an area where it's price point would be attractive. You could make the case that by not doing so, you are losing out on a lot of business in this case also. But I still doubt you would do it. OTOH One could say that by not carrying a very high end wood window that you are losing business in that market place also. I could also make the case that by not advertising on sites like Craigslist is costing a lot of business.

Some very successful companies don't even bother to have websites, coupons, radio ads, TV spots etc. because they aren't that interested in the type of business that comes from these sources and feel their efforts are more productive in other venues.

windowdude

#12 Post by windowdude »

Skydawggy wrote:I don't disagree with you. What I am trying to help you understand is that a company cannot be all things to all people. If you try, you will spend all your time and energy doing so and will never establish your niche in the market.

I seriously doubt you would consider carrying a very low end window and selling it in an area where it's price point would be attractive. You could make the case that by not doing so, you are losing out on a lot of business in this case also. But I still doubt you would do it. OTOH One could say that by not carrying a very high end wood window that you are losing business in that market place also. I could also make the case that by not advertising on sites like Craigslist is costing a lot of business.

Some very successful companies don't even bother to have websites, coupons, radio ads, TV spots etc. because they aren't that interested in the type of business that comes from these sources and feel their efforts are more productive in other venues.
OK I see what you mean. Good points. And if you DID take the time and energy to load your site up with specs, would that make the frustrated web surfer any more likely to do business with your company?

I guess sometimes yes, sometimes no. Like you said, you can't be everything to everyone. :)

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Some like the old way, some like the new way, some like a mixture.
Be happy in your skin.

buddy110

#14 Post by buddy110 »

Help me out. Advertising on Craigs list helps you? Can you refresh the ad daily? I tried but was only able to refresh every two weeks. :?:

Skydawggy

#15 Post by Skydawggy »

buddy110 wrote:Help me out. Advertising on Craigs list helps you? Can you refresh the ad daily? I tried but was only able to refresh every two weeks. :?:

My point was that many companies would never run an ad on Craigslist b/c they aren't interested in the type of purchaser that comes off a Craigslist ad. Let's just say that you aren't going to find a lot of folks responding to a Craigslist ad who are doing comparative shopping and have an interest in the highest quality windows while recognizing that quality and value come with a price. The larger point was that not all companies advertise on Craigslist etc. even though they realize they may be losing some business by not doing so. Beyond this, let's take it to the Contractors Board.