Kolbe Window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gjc

Kolbe Window

#1 Post by gjc »

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Is it low, mid , or a high end window.

Thanks for any information.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

I just went and looked at Kolbe's website. Some things I noticed.
#1, they have wood, aluminum clad, AND vinyl windows.
However, Wood is beautiful, but if you're looking for longevity, forget it. in time, it's going to rot. How long that time is, I don't know. Depends on how well you maintain them.
Aluminum clad is something, I personally, would stay away from. When Anderson puts out brouchures that detail exactly how aluminum conducts cold (Anderson's Understanding Condensation broucure), I immediately don't want it anywhere in my window.
Their vinyl is a vinyl blend, in otherwords, it's not 100% vinyl. So, again, long lasting is not something I'd attribute to these windows.
They also have stainless steel intercept spacers and aluminum intercept spacers, between the panes of glass. That's not high end.
They do have LowE² glazings, wich means, they have the lowE coating on the inside of both panes of glass. That's good thing, but I couldn't find any stats on their listed R-values, U-Values, SHGC (solar heat gain), etc.

Over-all, I'd say they look like a mid grade window, from the pictures, but then, they're only putting up the best pics they have, and those are probably enhanced.

gjc

#3 Post by gjc »

Thank you for your reply.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

Kolbe has a couple grades of windows from there lowest end window that competes with the Pella Pro-line for builders to the highest grade architururally correct wood and historical units such as the double hung with pully and chain/weight balance. Their high end is world class. Looking for a vinyl radius top double hung unit, Kolbe, looking for a rectangular double hung with a historic radius in the top sash, Kolbe.

Mostly high end. Look at their Celko vinyl. It makes the most talked about window on this board look like a Tonka. Unfortunately It does not offer value in the pricing on the high end. They have stainable wood grain laminate on there Celko casements that is awesome.

Sometimes websites are mis-leading. If they still have the last homeshow pictures on their site it is worth the look just to see whats out their.

HipKat

#5 Post by HipKat »

Thanks for that info. Like I said, the wood windows looked beautiful.

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

Look at pictures 38-41 on their slideshow at www.kolbe-kolbe.com. These are vinyl. Click the link to the 2005 product overview on the left lower part of your screen.

paulette_gardener

Updating the link

#7 Post by paulette_gardener »

Hi. I work on the Kolbe website. These postings are from 2005, and the location of the above-noted link is no longer available at that location.

I wouldn't necessarily categorize windows by low-end to high-end. Kolbe is high quality, yet there are many choices in terms of price-point. Talk to a dealer who knows several brands to make an informed choice.