Tom Adams/Accu-Weld windows (Philly suburbs): Help, please!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CaterwaulArt

Tom Adams/Accu-Weld windows (Philly suburbs): Help, please!

#1 Post by CaterwaulArt »

Hello! The world of windows is completely new (and kind of overwhelming) to me. Thankfully, I found this site tonight, and have been reading all I can. I had a sales rep from Tom Adams out today--very nice, very quick, no pressure. His company has an A+ rating by the BBB, and I've heard positive things from one or two folks who've had work done by them. According to thier brochure, however, they use Platinum Invision Accu-weld windows (manufactured, the rep said, in Bensalem, PA), which, from the information I'm seeing on this site, are not terribly good windows. Should I be looking for another brand? I've seen "Schuco" and "Simonton" mentioned in positive terms throughout these boards. Should I be looking for those instead? Any information or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you VERY, very much for your help!

Skydawggy

Re: Tom Adams/Accu-Weld windows (Philly suburbs): Help, please!

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

You should definitely look at more than just one brand of windows. Pa. has quite a few window manufacturers. I'd look at Gorell, Simonton, and Softlite and any local brands that may only be sold in your area. I don't recommend Accu-weld.
Last edited by Skydawggy on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Accu-Weld has lost a lot of dealers over the last several years do to the poor quality of their products. They got bailed out from what I've heard, but had to file for protection. Their plant is just down right nasty IMO. Accu-Weld extrudes their own vinyl and glazes in house for their IG's. They put in a Sashlite line a fews back and still have the Intercept line. The problem with extuding their own vinyl and producing their own IG's is that when their equipment gets older and needs upgrading or service, and there is no money to handle these types of services, you are going to see problems within the tolerences of your products.

Adams most likely deals with Accu-Weld becuase it's a cheap econo-buy window that allows them to compete with all of sleezy pick-up-truck contractors that sell $199 to $299 a window installed and capped in the N. East Philly area. I've seen a ton of estimates buy outfits such as "Ugly Man" windows and "Window Wholesalers" that sell the Accu-Weld products. Their pitch is to undersell the competition by any means. These companies love Accu-Weld because they can purchase a window wholesale for between $110 and $160 and put all future "manufacturer" related service issues back on Accu-Weld to handle, rather than the dealer themselves.

CaterwaulArt

#4 Post by CaterwaulArt »

Thanks very much to both of you for this information. It's a great help. I will look for the other brands mentioned, and will stay away from the Accu-welds. I'm really grateful (as I'm sure many others are) for your knowledge, and for your help. Thank you!
Lisa

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I too would look for other windows and installation companies.

zevmo

#6 Post by zevmo »

I just had a presentation last night. Now knowing that they use NEB's windows, and they want to charge around $800/window, what should the next step be to get a quality installation, and what price is fair for 15 DH windows?

Thanks Mike!

randy

#7 Post by randy »

If Anthony serves your area, I would highly recommend having him out for a visit. You won't find a more better guy to do business with in all of Pennsylvania.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

zevmo wrote:I just had a presentation last night. Now knowing that they use NEB's windows, and they want to charge around $800/window, what should the next step be to get a quality installation, and what price is fair for 15 DH windows?

Thanks Mike!
It is tough for us to evaluate price based on your application without knowing the scope of the project and window options.

As professionals, we try not to comment specifically on pricing as it is tough to gauge pricing for a given area. The cost of doing business is different from region to region.

+1 on contacting Anthony if he covers your area.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most of the independent pros here will tell you to look at Soft-lite, Okna, Gorell, Simonton, or Sunrise.
All are the top performers on the East coast.