Replacement Windows in North East

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Lynda

Replacement Windows in North East

#1 Post by Lynda »

We are in RI and are considering between two different replacement windows. We like the Harvey Tribute and also the Pella Designer windows. I like the idea of the Pella insert shades/blinds. Any pros or cons on either of these windows. It is our private home and we cannot afford to make a mistake.

Thanks,
Lynda

Lynda

Re: Replacement Windows in North East

#2 Post by Lynda »

Come on, hasn't anyone heard of Pella or Harvey??????????????

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

I think the guy who is supposed to be on duty today hurt his finger when an old window sash fell and nearly severed the finger. My understanding is the Boss is trying to locate another contractor and see if he would be willing to work overtime this weekend so at least someone would be available to answer your questions. I'd do it for you but I need to make sure I'm getting paid first. Just sit tight, someone will be right with you.

utoo

#4 Post by utoo »

If you want to take advantage of the $1500. federal tax rebate you will have to remove Pella with insert screens from your list.

Lynda

#5 Post by Lynda »

Why would I have to remove Pella from my list? I was told by the salesman that the Pella Designer Series windows are eligible for the stimulus package. What does a screen have to do with it?

windowdude

#6 Post by windowdude »

I don't think the Pella window will qualify for the tax credit if you get the blinds between the glass. Is that what you mean by "insert shades/blinds"?

Lynda

#7 Post by Lynda »

Yes, that is what I mean. Do you know anything about the Harvey Tribute????? As I said before the salesman for Pella said that they met the specifications for the tax credit. Do you know where I could find out for sure?

utoo

#8 Post by utoo »

You could work with your Pella sales person and get him to put it in writing, but he is probably off the hook since the vice president of Pella has published the following disclaimer on their web page devoted to promoting the federal tax rebate:

Pella Corporation and its sales partners assume no liability regarding the homeowners ability to obtain tax credits.

windowdude

#9 Post by windowdude »

Sorry but I don't know much about the Harveys...what is it about them that you like?

Have you looked at more than just the Pellas and the Harveys? What made you decide to go with one of those two manufacturers?

If you can get the model number for the Pellas from your sales rep, you can look up their energy ratings at www.nfrc.org

Lynda

#10 Post by Lynda »

I did go to that websight and looked up the windows I am looking at. I don't have model numbers but I do have the name of the window, Pella Designer Precision Hung and from what I can see it does meet the specifications for the rebate. I like the Pella because it is triple pane and has the blindes or shades that can be inserted. I like the Havey Tribute because it too is triple pane but it does not have the blindes for shade option. We also looked at the Eagle but the salesman was less than impressive so that kinda turned me off.

windowdude

#11 Post by windowdude »

Hmm...all the Pella Designer Precision windows listed on the NFRC site are listed as being tested with "No Shades". I would definitely get the tax credit qualification in writing from the sales rep. Try the "search" function here on this site, too...you may find the info you're looking for.

Are you looking for something that is super-energy efficient? Is that why you want triple pane windows?

And what was it that turned you off about the Eagle salesman?

dutch

#12 Post by dutch »

Lynda wrote: I like the Pella because it is triple pane and has the blindes or shades that can be inserted. I like the Havey Tribute because it too is triple pane but it does not have the blindes for shade option.
I think you are missing an opportunity to get the most of this board. Since you don't really know anything about the available brands and their quality (which is true of most everyone), you should not come in here with a preconceived idea that those brands are your only choices.

There are some very knowledgeable pros in here that would feel more comfortable if you just said where you live and why you want the windows (let them determine if triple pane suits you). Generally, the brands you mention don't get good reviews here. And, it is doubtful that the blinds in the window will qualify for the tax credit.

So I suggest you start over and throw out your preconceived ideas. Just say where you live, types of windows (i.e. double hung, casement, etc.) how many, and your primary goal and budget for the project.

good luck

dutch

#13 Post by dutch »

utoo wrote:You could work with your Pella sales person and get him to put it in writing, but he is probably off the hook since the vice president of Pella has published the following disclaimer on their web page devoted to promoting the federal tax rebate:

Pella Corporation and its sales partners assume no liability regarding the homeowners ability to obtain tax credits.
That is understandable since a company has no control over what law may change or how the IRS will determine taxes. But THAT is not what you want in writing anyway!

Since YOU already know the requirements (.30, .30), you have them put in writing that the windows will have a u factor and shgc of .30 or less. That is entirely reasonable. They make the windows, and if they represented them as having certain values, they should not have any hesitation in putting it in writing. If they won't, you need to deal with another company.

buddy110

#14 Post by buddy110 »

Lynda wrote: I like the Pella because it is triple pane and has the blindes or shades that can be inserted.

If this "triple pane" that you're referring to is the one where you can change the blinds, then it's not a true triple pane. It's a double pane that has a removable inner storm window. The blinds are between the storm and the inner pane of the IGU.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It appears most of the crew has little experience w/ Pella. I am the largest CPC in the Philly area. Not only that but we do install all mfg both low and high end.
The Designer does qualify for the ETC. The unit is triple glazed, though all lites are not hermetically sealed. IG w/ low e argon and HGP.
I do not know anything about the Harvey unit, not big in my region.
1 suggestion: ask Pella for a referal to an independant CPC, not WME. They wont like it but hold your ground.
Let me know how things go.