NW Ohio (Great Lakes Area) Replacement quesiton

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tomipi

NW Ohio (Great Lakes Area) Replacement quesiton

#1 Post by tomipi »

I have a 1950's cape cod in Toledo, OH. 12 windows. 2 in the front are picture windows, and I think I will keep them picture windows--don't like the look of some of the other houses that have casements or DH in the front.

Anyways, I am starting the review process. It seems overwhelming. EVERYONE has a GREAT window and a GREAT price! :lol:

Current, I have received:

Silver Line 8500 by Anderson (local installer) $4,854 (This includes a 15% discount for being a repeat customer)
Simonton 6100 (Home Depot) for $6,000
Hanson (1-800 Hanson) Yet to come by.

I am not looking for the cheap $189 window, but I am not planning on being at this house more than 2 years. Just want a good quality, decent priced window.

Suggestions, comments?

TheWindowNerd

Re: NW Ohio (Great Lakes Area) Replacement quesiton

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would look for an independant Simonton installer, look at both the 5300 and 5500 series, but nothing below those.
Look under roofing and siding supply and call and ask for a referal to a NITPICKER ( club of installers).

tomipi

#3 Post by tomipi »

Thanks, Anthony.

I did locate a Simonton vendor...ABC Supply. Will give them a call.

Hanson was horrible! I got the whole "over the top" heat lamp, standing on glass hard sell with "Let me call my boss" thrown in.

They went from over $9700 to $6500 by the time I got him out of the house!

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You didn't have to call the police?

tomipi

#5 Post by tomipi »

:lol:

No, but I was about too. Yuck!

I did find out though that the cost difference apparently to go from a window with a Low E2/Argon UFactor of .32 to a Low E3/Argon with Foam with a UFactor of .30/.29 is quite a bit more than the Obama Tax Credit.

Since I am not planning on staying in the house for very long AND the windows I am replacing are original, I will just get along fine without getting the Tax Credit. :roll:

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

All windows that meet the current EnergyStar criteria, qualify for the tax credit as long as you purchase them by June 1st. Better get that contract signed before then.

zago

#7 Post by zago »

whether you are staying in the house for 2 years or 2 seconds,i would never recommend silverline windows. i think almost everyone on this board would agree.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With Simonton you can get the <.30 for only $40 more per window, and that is marked up so a dealer makes profit.
But as Skydawg mentioned you can make it for a short time with Energy Star qualified for now, and in the NE that is better for you anyway.

dutch

#9 Post by dutch »

anthony wrote:I would look for an independant Simonton installer, look at both the 5300 and 5500 series, but nothing below those.
Look under roofing and siding supply and call and ask for a referal to a NITPICKER ( club of installers).
Could you elaborate on what a NITPICKER is?

tomipi

#10 Post by tomipi »

Skydog, ANY Energy Star Window (even if UFactor .32) qualifies before June 1?

What is so bad about Silverline? (9500)

Skydawggy

#11 Post by Skydawggy »

Silverline is a low end window. The vinyl thickness is only a .62mil on the outer shell, the quality in inconsistent, welds are usually done very sloppy are just some of the reasons. Why buy Silverline when there are better windows out there in that same price range. You should be able to find the Simonton Reflections 5500 or the Simonton Prism Platinum, which are the same as the 6100 HD showed you and you will be buying a much better window. Even if you bought the Simonton Reflections 5050 or the Simonton Bronze you be getting a better window and you might find them for less than the Silverline.

tomipi

#12 Post by tomipi »

Thanks, Skydog. Understand the variable there. Will contact a contractor in the area regarding Simonton.

So are you saying that if I order the windows BEFORE 6/1, regardless of the UFactor, they would qualify for the 30% tax credit?

tomipi

#13 Post by tomipi »

Okay all, I know you can't stand to hear it, but, YOU WERE RIGHT.

I got the Simonton 5500 for LESS than the Silverline quote.

Thanks for everyone's help and comments.