Need Installation advise

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jerryl

Need Installation advise

#1 Post by jerryl »

It seems that most of the advise on this board favors buying replacement windows from the same company that has its own installers vs. buying from someone like Lowes, HD, Sears, etc, who use independent contractors. I registered for assistance from sources in my area through this site (I believe) and Reliable Remodeler has apparently forwarded my info to HD, Sears, and other "big box" types. Are these options I should consider for mid-range priced replacements? (see earlier post by jerryl for specifics of sizes, etc.).

fenestrationman

Re: Need Installation advise

#2 Post by fenestrationman »

Over the years of being in this industry, what I have seen is companies that have there own installation crews tend to do a better job. The reason being, possibly being paid by the hour opposed to getting paid by the 'hole'. If the installer does a bad job, his livelyhood is in jeopordy.
There are plenty of good subs out there though. You just need to do a little research.
Just my observation.

On another note - here is where the possible bad installation scenario occurs:
I was delivering a window to the laboratory for certificaation testing, when I was approached by a contractor. He asked me if I wanted to make some money installing some windows. I told him that I was not interested, but out of curiosity, asked him why he would ask me, and he said that he cannot find anyone to do the work. But why me I ask. Well I just figured you knew how to install due to the fact that you have a window on the back of your truck. Although I do know installation, lets look at the other scenario: This is the type of Sub that I refer to. Lets assume that I was just a delivery boy of the window and a little short on cash. Use your imagination. Creates plenty of phone calls and upset consumers.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Really comes down to the installer and their work product. I have seen garbage installs from subs and employees. Look at work examples and make your decision from that.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with WOW.