Ripoff or fair price?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jdthird

Ripoff or fair price?

#1 Post by jdthird »

I have a French style patio door that I hate - opens right into where the dining room table and chairs are so it's in the way. Also horrible in a wisconsin winter since I hate opening a door and having snow sliding off of it onto the floor there. Adjacent wall has a 46x44 window, kind that slides horizontally. I hate that since it's a poor install job, poor window, not even sealed against the outside (tracks it slides on actually get water on the inside, just as a piece of styrofoam over the hole there to the outside). I put plastic over it a few years ago and never took the plastic off...

Patio door opening is 70x80, not quite standard.

A sales person from a company that sells Gorell doors and windows just left. Price quoted after "discounts" for the 46x44 window, model 5300 triple pane glass, and the 70x80 sliding patio door, model 6300, double pane energy guard glass, is, including tax, $4,240. Includes all work, cleanup, takeaway, dealing with any rotted wood and such (not expected, house is only hitting 6 years old now). Their 50 year warranty on all parts, including accidental breakage and such for the glass. Both are white outside and a gold oak inside to match existing.

I'm in south east Wisconsin, so Milwaukee is the biggest city nearby if anyone knows "normal" pricing in this area of the country.

I liked the technology and quality of both the window and the patio door, I just don't know what is "reasonable" since I've never priced installs and such. I see places like Home Depot have their highest priced patio door you can buy at $1300, but that still tells me nothing since I have no idea what install would be, etc...

My google searches all turn up questions from 2007 or 2008, and talk about a lot more things than I have for not much more (i.e. patio door, 4 windows, 5 grand). So this seems steep to me, but that could very well just be my ignorance, or the prices may have gone up in the last couple years...

1 window, 1 patio door, $4240.

Anyone have any ideas on if this would be a total ripoff?

Thanks

John

TheWindowNerd

Re: Ripoff or fair price?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Talk to the dealer and discuss the price with him.
It seems a little high to me, but your project is small, and I do not know all the details of the install.
Good product selection.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd also say that it sounds rather high for this area. The patio door should be in the ballpark of $2k, with the window no more $700-$800 depending upon options. When all is said and done, I'd say that you should be at or under $3k, unless there are a bunch of options that you have not listed, or it is a very complicated install.

jdthird

#4 Post by jdthird »

Thanks. It seemed too high to me but without anything to compare it to, I had no basis for my feeling, just a feeling.

I'll keep looking for people in the south east wisconsin area and get some more quotes then.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

jdthird wrote:Thanks. It seemed too high to me but without anything to compare it to, I had no basis for my feeling, just a feeling.

I'll keep looking for people in the south east wisconsin area and get some more quotes then.
Why don't you click on HomeSealed "Get a Quote" button?

I know that he serves the Wisconsin area and is by far and away, the best person that you will deal with in that area. He has some of the best products available and his installation and techniques are the most comprehensive.

You will not find a better contractor. :!:

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Yes, call Homesealed. He's already guaranteed you the price to be no more than $2800 without even seeing the job.

jdthird

#7 Post by jdthird »

Didn't even pay attention to the left side. Thanks everyone, clicking now. :)

Deerfield

#8 Post by Deerfield »

Does HomeSealed work in the Chicago area? I live in the north suburb (about 1 hour drive from Milwaukee).

jdthird

#9 Post by jdthird »

Can't hurt to hit the button and try. They called me the same day to set up my appointment - and I'm in Sturtevant, so only about 15 minutes from the border.... Worst they can do is say "no"...

Deerfield

#10 Post by Deerfield »

Do you mind giving me his phone number? Since he is not servicing my zip code, I can't even get his company's name.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm sorry Deerfield, we are not licensed to work in Illinois. I can say though that you are in good hands with Dave (Window4U). I understand he's had some technical issues recently, but we send any requests that we receive from Illinois down to him, and he a has never disappointed.

Deerfield

#12 Post by Deerfield »

Thanks. Dave called me yesterday!

jdthird

#13 Post by jdthird »

Just mailed them a check. Came in $1400 under the other place. On top of that, when he was at the house doing measurements for my estimate, I commented about seeing light at the top corner of a few crank windows, and he paused what he was doing, walked over and opened a window, then showed me where the adjustments can be made. Offered to have the guys straighten them out when they came and did the replacement window and patio door, but after he left, I wandered the house to the three windows that had that problem, and inside of about two minutes per window with two tools, had them adjusted better.

All in all a totally different experience than I had with the other place. Outstanding, and I'm glad to give my money to a place that does more than just come in and spend a couple hours on a hard sell, and overcharge.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Well as to be expexted, Homesealed is treating with respect and kindness.
That along with great products and professional installation will give you a super result.

Homesealed/Brandon Thank you for being a good rolemodel for me.