Which is better value??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
edgaf

Which is better value??

#1 Post by edgaf »

I need to replace 40 yr old, single pane with storm windows in 2 bedrooms in a Chicago suburb. One bedroom has a 69 X 35 slider (North exposure) and the other room has two 53 X 35 sliders with a north exposure and a 32X45 double hung with a west exposure. Is it worth paying about $1300 for the job more for Renewal by Andersen versus Sophia by Feldco? Also, does vinyl really contract enough in the cold winter months to make the Fibrex material in the Andersen windows a big advantage?? I replaced a large slider in our family room about 12 years ago and I have been so disappointed in the performance (especially in the winter) that I am very leary about anything a salesman tells me. If you have any other suggestions, I am very open to hearing them.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

If you have Andersons now, that have not held up, why would you want to even consider Anderson again??

edgaf

#3 Post by edgaf »

No, I do not have Andersen now. The window we replaced 12 years ago was made a different company, bought under a high pressure sales pitch. We do not want to go that route again. I have heard Andersen is one of the best windows out there. Is this true and if so, is it worth the difference for bedroom windows? Our budget is limited. Thanks!

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

I wouldn't sell or promote either... so I don't have a response that would help you decide between the two. Now, as for the Fibrex being an advantage over a high-quality vinyl product (not Feldco)... this is a no brainer... there is no advantage. I also live in the Chicago suburbs and know the climate well. A window is 85-90% glass, consider the overall performance first and if you bought into the Fibrex strength pitch, compare it's DP (Design Pressure) ratings to the best vinyls in the industry.

As for Andersen being one of the best products out there, that rumor was spread by Andersen as they spend more money in advertising then any other in the window world. The rumor is false and very easily discharged by an educated industry professional. Good Luck.

Fenex

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

I started out looking for a vinyl window for our home and ended up ordering Renewal for these reasons...good looking, exterior color I wanted, wood interior that I wanted, vinyl could not give me the size casements I needed (could sag over time), I will not lose glass area, and I have my doubts on vinyls longevity.? But none of these reasons may not be an issue for many.

HipKat

#6 Post by HipKat »

Vinyl's longevety vs wood???? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
When consumer reports says that wood products have a 10 - 12 year life expectancy, when Anderson only puts a 10 year warranty on non glass parts (as in the WOOD), you have to wonder why, right?? Because you think vinyl, which is man made, treated with chemicals, re-enforced, etc all to LAST, which was used to build things like ummm, the alaskan pipeline, for one, may have longevity isues.

Good thing you read this site before making that statement......NOT!

researcher

#7 Post by researcher »

I think most people know why wood longevity is not all that long. It is the exposure to moisture that is the main reason and it is also the main reason for wood's expansion and contraction. The wood in Fibrex is not exposed to moisture, if fact adding wood to vinly helps solves some of the weakness vinly has (when it is used in it's pure form), such as expansion and contraction issues (which is why Fibrex can be had in darker colores) and the issue of saging is greatly improved by mixing wood with vinly.

Cement is one thing and sand is another thing, but when the two are mixed together and add some water, it is quite another thing.