What to watch for during window installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
voldaddy

What to watch for during window installation

#1 Post by voldaddy »

I have ordered my windows and it will be about 3-4 weeks before I can get them installed. I am going to take the day off from work when they come to do the job. What should I look for during the installation? I think if I seem somewhat knowledgeable on what is supposed to be done then they will take their time and do a better job. I was going to do the 12 months same as cash thing through Wells Fargo but I think I will just put it on my credit card, in case there is a problem I can hold the final payment until it is fixed. I hate to be so skeptical but.........any and all info will be greatly appreciated! TIA.

Mass. window guy

#2 Post by Mass. window guy »

12 months same as cash can cost the contractor up to 10% of the job cost. The contractors basically pay the interest for you- there is no such thing as free interest from a bank (at least that is how it works in the north east). If you decide to put on your credit card, I would ask for a discount from the contractor.

voldaddy

#3 Post by voldaddy »

Wells Fargo charges a 2% processing fee to do the 12 months S.A.C., or so I was told........

handyman19619

#4 Post by handyman19619 »

credit card companies charge up to 5% to the contractor. If you give me a credit card I charge 3 to 5% over the sale for using it . Sorry but I cant lose $30,000 a year to help people earn rewards. No discount here , No cash back bonus. Just the best price possible. No such thing as free interest from the contractoe either.

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

Voldaddy

To answer your first question regarding installation, do your best to understand air-infiltration and water-penetration and apply it to the installation that you witness. As a novice you may miss a few things so choosing the right contractor in the first place is always your best guaranty.

Regarding the ability to hold the final payment, I would suggest using that right responsibly. For instance if "a" window is damaged during installation or shipment and the installer needs to reorder it which will take 3-4 weeks, it isn't necessarily right to hold $8,000 of the contract amount. Protect yourself financially, yes... take advantage, no. I am not implying that you would personally but believe me it happens... and far too often.

As for payment options, Wells Fargo has many choices for approved businesses, and yes, they do charge for it. Credit card companies also charge typically 1.5 - 3%. The CC percentage is based on transaction volume presented by the business and varies card to card with AMEX usually being the highest... that's why many don't accept it. Businesses with less transaction volume can pay a much higher percentage.

As for a contractor charging the homeowner credit card fees, I think that's rediculous. If they don't want to freely offer these payment options as a service they provide, then they shouldn't offer them period. It's an optional cost of doing business. If I tossed out a Visa at a restaurant and they revised the bill to include the charges, I'd pay it in cash and invest the money saved into a local newspaper ad bashing them.

Fenex

voldaddy

#6 Post by voldaddy »

FenEx,

Thanks for the reply. I would never intentionally withhold the final payment just for the sake of doing so, and if 1 window out of 14 is damaged, I would withhold the cost of the window needing replaced plus a little extra to make sure it is repaired asap. I can use the courtesy checks my credit card companies send me every day in the mail if there will be an extra fee incurred for the company.

As to the installation-you mentioned air infiltration and water penetration, can you elaborate? I know to look for a gap between the windows and the walls, but should I check and make sure the windows are level? Go behind them after the window is installed and put my level on it? I really appreciate your input here as I have read many of your posts and value your opinion. TIA.

FenEx

#7 Post by FenEx »

You can check to see if the windows were installed level but that accuracy depends on your level verses theirs. Levels can and do read differently depending on their quality and how well they are taken care of. Others here with a backround in carpentry will attest to this.

More importanly, when the old windows are removed make sure that the old sills are not rotted out and that the existing sills and jambs are addressed if they have areas of moisture damage, open air leakage points or rot. As the new windows are installed make sure that they are properly insulated AND air-sealed alll the way around. Fiberglass by itself is not a pressure boundary and will only filter the airflow without an air seal. When they are capped, think like a raindrop. How would you get in?

No installers like being followed around by a homeowner, it will frustrate them. I suggest talking to them when they come to begin work and sharing your concerns. You may then ask them how they are going to install the products. Typically, when they verbalize what they will do... that's what they will do as they know you will be checking. Keep the coffee hot and the donuts fresh and I am sure things will work out fine.

Fenex

voldaddy

#8 Post by voldaddy »

I absolutely won't follow them around-I just wanted to sound like I know what I am talking about when they arrive.

I apologize in advance because I am sure this is a dumb question, but when you refer to properly insulated AND air sealed-are you referring to making sure the windows are caulked properly?

Guy

#9 Post by Guy »

Voldaddy, I agree with Fenex 100% with the following of the installer window to window. I know you probably won't do that but as an installer it's the most frustrating thing there is. I've literally had people so close I can feel their breath on my neck. If they want to hand me tools and help then I don't mind! Otherwise I agree to just talk with the installer and let them know your concerns. As an installer I would be more than happy to show you the process on the installation if I knew your interests. I could then point out what I was doing and why. Proper insulation around the new unit and proper capping of the outside if needed. Using a good urethane or quality sealant like OSI Quad or Novaflex is also another thing to look out for. A good installer won't use that cheap water soluble caulk that will wash off in the first rain storm. The window sill itself should be somewhat level across the bottom. Sometimes it's not possible for a bunch of reasons but in general it should be close. In order for the weeping system to function properly the window sill must be level as possible. Also check the reveals all around the window with sashes open and closed. The reveal is the space between the window sash and the frame it slides in. Usually there is a weatherseal of some kind in this area. The vertical reveals should be even from top top bottom. An eighth inch gap is most common. THe weatherseal should be touching on both sides with no gaps. Horizontal gaps follow the same principals. Make sure that when you close each window that the lock functions easy without breaking a finger. It should pull the windows together and snug them down evenly. If you have two locks they should both work about the same. Last but not least, after a couple days take out your garden hose and spray the windows down. Don't use the JET function and blast the glass out. Just let it flow over the window above and across like a rain would and check for leaks. These should help you along no problem> Good Luck!!!