What would you do if your potential installer ... ?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cmar2

What would you do if your potential installer ... ?

#1 Post by cmar2 »

I feel bad because this guy was great when he came to my house. He has been extremely patient as I have been constantly asking questions & bringing up new windows I might be interested in (as i read more). I orig met w/this guy I think in April (I know guys, it's sad... ) However, the following things have started to concern me. Should they?

#1. Impervia didn't qual for tax credit. Now it does but he also has to charge me about $500 more to qual for the 1.5k credit (upgraded glass package).

#2. He claims Softlite has a lot of problems. He says knows a guy who used to make them (or measure them -can't remember which) & will get back to me after he asks his friend what the probs were w/Softlites windows. He says of course Alside (other window he trying to sell me on) has more negative feedback to be found online because they are a much bigger comp (couldn't explain why they had less positive feedback though). He also likes to tell me I read these reports & forums too much & all the info gets jumbled (which I admit it does) & at some point it does more harm than good.

#3 & finally please tell me what to make of this message I sent to the BBB .....
I had a windows installer come to my house with a laminated card that says he is recommended by the BBB. I said, "All of the installers who have come out to give me quotes are accredited A+ rated installers. I got the referrals for all the people I am considering directly from the BBB site." To that the installer said, "Yeah, but this is different. This means when people contact the BBB & ask them for a specific recommendation on who to go with, I am the name they give." What does this mean? Is he telling the truth? When people call, are there specific people or companies you recommend in addition to just giving them A+ ratings, torch awards, accreditation?

The response from the BBB ....
Thank you for contacting BBB regarding your experience with xxxx . In response to your inquiry, BBB does not recommend or endorse any company. We can provide you with a list of all of our BBB Accredited Businesses in a particular industry, or, as you indicated you did, you can obtain that information from our web site. BBB does not promote any one Accredited Business. Do you recall specifically what was printed on the card (unfortunately I don't -he didn't leave it w/me)? Did he leave it with you or just show it to you during the presentation? If he did leave it with you, would you please fax a copy to me at 410-3487-3936? Thank you.

We certainly appreciate your having taken the time to bring this to our attention and we will review the matter with the company

OK guys, let me have it... am I a meanie for mistrusting this guy or a dummy for trusting him? Thanks.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: What would you do if your potential installer ... ?

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

cmar2 wrote:I feel bad because this guy was great when he came to my house. He has been extremely patient as I have been constantly asking questions & bringing up new windows I might be interested in (as i read more). I orig met w/this guy I think in April (I know guys, it's sad... ) However, the following things have started to concern me. Should they?

#1. Impervia didn't qual for tax credit. Now it does but he also has to charge me about $500 more to qual for the 1.5k credit (upgraded glass package).

#2. He claims Softlite has a lot of problems. He says knows a guy who used to make them (or measure them -can't remember which) & will get back to me after he asks his friend what the probs were w/Softlites windows. He says of course Alside (other window he trying to sell me on) has more negative feedback to be found online because they are a much bigger comp (couldn't explain why they had less positive feedback though). He also likes to tell me I read these reports & forums too much & all the info gets jumbled (which I admit it does) & at some point it does more harm than good.

#3 & finally please tell me what to make of this message I sent to the BBB .....
I had a windows installer come to my house with a laminated card that says he is recommended by the BBB. I said, "All of the installers who have come out to give me quotes are accredited A+ rated installers. I got the referrals for all the people I am considering directly from the BBB site." To that the installer said, "Yeah, but this is different. This means when people contact the BBB & ask them for a specific recommendation on who to go with, I am the name they give." What does this mean? Is he telling the truth? When people call, are there specific people or companies you recommend in addition to just giving them A+ ratings, torch awards, accreditation?

The response from the BBB ....
Thank you for contacting BBB regarding your experience with xxxx . In response to your inquiry, BBB does not recommend or endorse any company. We can provide you with a list of all of our BBB Accredited Businesses in a particular industry, or, as you indicated you did, you can obtain that information from our web site. BBB does not promote any one Accredited Business. Do you recall specifically what was printed on the card (unfortunately I don't -he didn't leave it w/me)? Did he leave it with you or just show it to you during the presentation? If he did leave it with you, would you please fax a copy to me at 410-3487-3936? Thank you.

We certainly appreciate your having taken the time to bring this to our attention and we will review the matter with the company

OK guys, let me have it... am I a meanie for mistrusting this guy or a dummy for trusting him? Thanks.
Softlite has a lot of series of windows. They redesigned the Imperial (it is now called the Imperial LS) and they also introduced the Elements in the last couple years. These new models are very good and are top tier.

Ask the guy for a copy of his BBB card and see if he delivers. BTW, the guy sounds like a stroke to me.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Agreed. This guy has issues with the truth. Look for someone else.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Don't mind if it is 3 for 3. That guy is out.
He is not truthful and deserves the boot.

cmar2

#5 Post by cmar2 »

I appreciate the help. I have been wondering how to confront this guy. The other guy I am considering is the Softlite guy, 13 windows inc the picture, 5 basement windows for 7.4k total. Does that sound like a good price? I have one other comp who sells Softlite who I considered getting a quote from.

Also, I didn't mention it before because I didn't want to cause probs for anyone (who didn't deserve it) but the contractor I had the issue w/was from Baltimore Siding & Aluminum. The Softlite guy is Chesapeake Thermal (he also does Simonton). The other Softlite person I haven't gotten a quote from yet is Cossentino & Sons. Any thoughts ....

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think it is time for you to start concentrating on the installer. Soft-lite is a great product.
At this point I want to know who is going to do the best job and work with me through the project.

buddy110

#7 Post by buddy110 »

I have to agree with the sentiments of the board. This guy is not trustworthy. Trying to tell you Alside is a better window than Softlite is just false. SL had issues a while back, but they have solved them and their CS is very, very good.

cmar2

#8 Post by cmar2 »

Correction to prev post... .the Alside guy was Balt Siding & Window -not Balt Siding & Aluminum. Don't want to get the wrong guy in any trouble.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Reminds me of "Tin Men" being that they are in Baltimore.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I wonder how many know what spiking the job means?

cmar2

#11 Post by cmar2 »

What does it mean, Anthony?

dutch

#12 Post by dutch »

cmar2 wrote:I appreciate the help. I have been wondering how to confront this guy.
Why would you need to confront him? My understanding is you never ordered or signed anything from him--it was just an estimate. You then contacted the BBB and learned he outright LIED to you--the BBB NEVER recommends a contractor over another--they just give their "report" and let you decide. They go after people who use their name falsely, which is why they too the info from you.

All you have to do now is never speak to him again--it's over; no need for any confrontation!

Briant73

#13 Post by Briant73 »

I would do as suggested and just walk away and move on to someone else. I don't mind a saleperson talking up their product, pointing out where they are superior but downright lies and misleading statements make me go elsewhere.

cmar2

#14 Post by cmar2 »

Got it, guys. Thanks to all. That's what I have decided to do. I already have someone else lined up.

cmar2

#15 Post by cmar2 »

I just felt like I had to clear the air here.... Balt Siding & Window guy's BBB card was from 1997. That's when he was recommended. I asked the BBB if this was an old practice they discontinued but haven't heard back. In any event, this guy has been pretty good to me, & the one lady whose house I went to to see Impervia installed said he did a great job & she referred fam to him... for what it's worth. I don't like to bash anyone.