Windows advice needed in Houston (Suagr Land)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
chung_chang

Windows advice needed in Houston (Suagr Land)

#1 Post by chung_chang »

I recently joined this board and all of the information here is quite overwhelming for a window newbie like me. I just bought a house with original (1993) aluminum single pane windows. My energy bills aren't too bad but the street noise is annoying. The house sits next to 2 intersecting semi-busy streets (35mph) with 4-way stop signs. A few drivers like to show off their performance exhaust notes at those stop signs. I would like to know what my options are. Here are my priorities in order:
  • 1. noise performance
    2. noise performance
    3. survive annual hurricane season (or long warranty against glass breakage)
    4. energy efficiency (qualify for 2010 $1,500 tax credit)
    5. looks and high light penetration (for wife's approval)
    6. low to medium budget for 23+ windows
Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows advice needed in Houston (Suagr Land)

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. Laminated glass window with low air infiltration
2. See above response.
3. Glass breakage warranty and Laminated glass is again a minimum.
4. Any window that is worth looking at will meet that minimum.
5. Look for High VT numbers and thin profiles.
6. What is your idea of low to medium? Prepare to be disappointed if you think you will get a half decent window with laminated glass for less than $650.

If you are in Houston, I would certainly recommend that you look up a poster by the name of Randy, however, Randy only carries mid to upper end products. What is your budget like?

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree about contacting Randy.

chung_chang

#4 Post by chung_chang »

Thanks for the quick recommendations. If only I had half the windows to replace, they would be well under my budget. Oh well, wife would not agree to replacing all 23+ windows at that price + installations. Thanks.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

chung_chang wrote:Thanks for the quick recommendations. If only I had half the windows to replace, they would be well under my budget. Oh well, wife would not agree to replacing all 23+ windows at that price + installations. Thanks.

You shoud be able to get 23 decent windows installed for less than $650 including installation.

Or you could go out and buy 23 rolls of plastic wrap. Tell her this is going to be the cheapest way to fix the windows. :mrgreen:

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Skydawggy wrote:
chung_chang wrote:Thanks for the quick recommendations. If only I had half the windows to replace, they would be well under my budget. Oh well, wife would not agree to replacing all 23+ windows at that price + installations. Thanks.

You shoud be able to get 23 decent windows installed for less than $650 including installation.

Or you could go out and buy 23 rolls of plastic wrap. Tell her this is going to be the cheapest way to fix the windows. :mrgreen:
Sky...I think that he was wanting laminated glass in all of those windows. That is why I said that $650 with laminated glass is aggressively price.

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

My bad, I just hit "first unread post" and forgot he wanted laminated glass.

chung_chang

#8 Post by chung_chang »

Talked with the Mrs some more and we might be able to do partial replacements, mainly bedrooms and study. But I would like to know just how much noise reduction we can expect from a $650 laminated window?

Most of the bedroom/study windows are about 50 - 100 ft away from the 4-way stop signs. We hear cars whooshing by which are annoying. They sound like loud whispers from someone standing a few feet away. Occasionally, we hear cars and trucks with performance exhausts taking off from the stop signs. Those are very obnoxious. Can partial window replacements help?

Also, since we can take our time doing the windows (aside from beating the $1,500 tax credit deadline), do these mid to high range windows ever go on sale? Are there any low demand seasons to buy windows cheaper?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you contractor is good, which Randy is, there isn't usually a sale season.

A laminated window will make a significant reduction in noise transmission.