Milgard vs. Ply-Gem Sliding Door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
apacheap

Milgard vs. Ply-Gem Sliding Door

#1 Post by apacheap »

I need to replace a 10 foot slider with a 2 panel energy efficient door

My choices are the Milgard Tuscany or Ply-Gem (which is $500 less)

Any opinions about this?

SuperiorW&D

Re: Milgard vs. Ply-Gem Sliding Door

#2 Post by SuperiorW&D »

Milgard is over-priced and the Tuscany line comes with a "glass breakage warranty" that you are paying for big time. Both are quality products.

Door&WindowPlus

#3 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Get some prices on replacing the glass if broken on the door. Prices are pretty high in California and you won't get a warranty on the new glass. Sometimes paying more is a better choice.

SuperiorW&D

#4 Post by SuperiorW&D »

A 10' slider usually has more than 2 door panels. Milgard does not, at least not in Oregon, install the glass in patio doors with more than 2 door panels. Having your installer field glaze the unit could be an additional cost.

I would love to hear back from someone outside of Oregon if this is not the case in their areas.

Door&WindowPlus

#5 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Milgard ships the glass separate for that big too but we don't charge extra to install it.

pilot

#6 Post by pilot »

For California, take a look at Anlin or Amerimax. I saw an Amerimax door that was 10' tall and 10' wide - huge door. They also use commercial quality wheels - like Fleetwood does - so they operate better. One way to tell a solid door is to look at the interlock where the two panels meet. Do they appear to have solid assmebly and reinforcements?

Also make sure the doors are welded frames and don't let a sales person tell you it doesn't matter. It does. Particularly in a large sliding door.

Door&WindowPlus

#7 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Amerimax does not give a warranty on glass breakage for their doors. Tempered glass is one of their exclusion. I would also look at Simonton. They make a nice door.