Great Lakes?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rudyk

Great Lakes?

#1 Post by rudyk »

Need help - Chicago area, so it is C..o..l..d - anyone familiar with Great Lakes vinyl windows? Interested in Simonton due to the comments I have seen in these forums, but would like info on Great Lakes. (Between the two, any opinions?) Thanks for any help.

windowmike

Re: Great Lakes?

#2 Post by windowmike »

Great lakes is a nice window too. It has an inside glazing bead, foam filled frame and sash in grandview 5000, reinforced rails, triple pane option. Intercept is the only spacer choice.
Simonton offers super spacer silicone spacer, outside glazing bead with relieved weld on sash interior on platinum and 5500 lines.no foam filling ,no standard sash reinforcement dp 35 vs.dp 50 on great lakes. Simonton also ofers triple pane with argon u value 0.28. For the best u value I prefer Force V u value 0.20 triple with krypton and u 0.23 triple with argon. Not sure what u values on great lakes.

windowmike

#3 Post by windowmike »

Regarding U- Value; Isn't it really a case of "You can pay me now or you can pay me later." Most companies are playing catch-up in the race to lower u values. It's like contemplating buying a car with 20 vs. 30 MPG Just purchase wisely.

Henry5

#4 Post by Henry5 »

The Great Lakes Uniframe window is a nice window. The U-Factor with triple pane is a .19. You do lose some glass with the Uniframe its a beefy window.

rudyk

#5 Post by rudyk »

Thank you both for your responses. The style of Great Lakes I was given the estimate for is "GrandView5000" - different than Uniframe? thanks again.