Looking for Windows in SouthWest Ohio

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
maevansjr

Looking for Windows in SouthWest Ohio

#1 Post by maevansjr »

What is the best window for the price?

I've talked to APEX Energy Solutions and Gilkey. I'm going to talk to Air Tite and Champion next week. So far triple pane estimates have been around 7,250 for 12 windows and 1550 for the patio door. I was hoping to get quality windows for under $5,000 for 12 windows. Just curious if 7,250 is as good as it gets. Thanks.

patio door 72 x 80. slider

windows
(1) 35 x 36 double hung
(1) 87 x 50 slider
(9) 43 x 50 double hung
(1) 47 x 47 double hung

TheWindowNerd

Re: Looking for Windows in SouthWest Ohio

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Depends on your thoughts about quality.
IMO you will not get one the best thermal performers for the budget you hope for.
The numbers you are getting for TP sound good.

maevansjr

#3 Post by maevansjr »

I'm looking for a window that isn't going to break down in 10 years like these low grade builder windows that were originally installed. We have condensation in the current windows and they are hard to open and close.

Looking for more bang for the buck. I might stay in this house for less than 5 years, so not looking for a top of the line window. But I don't want to go too low in quality where I won't reap the benefits for resale.

Also would like windows that has a U-factor and SHGC of 0.30 or below to qualify for the 30% tax credit.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Soft-lite makes some very good windows, and they are manufactured right there in Ohio. Give them a look.

maevansjr

#5 Post by maevansjr »

Leaning towards Champion windows. I liked the presentation. I liked the window. I like the warranty. APEX is dealing the 8000 series Alside which seems to get slammed on this site. Gilkey window has a little too much frame for me but seems like a good window. A close second for me. Just prefer the Champion window so far. Going to talk to Gorrel dealer and Anderson Renewal just to cover my bases to see what kind of pricing they come up with. Soft lite dealer is about 40 miles away so still debating whether to talk to them or not. All three even quoted or matched $8800 for 13 double hung windows and a patio door. All three of the companies windows qualify for the 30% tax credit.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thermal data is really only one part of the equation. I would also look at the air infiltration data on the windows in your narrowed down comparison as well.

maevansjr

#7 Post by maevansjr »

Where can I find all the data on the windows I'm looking at for free? Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

http://cpd.nfrc.org/search/searchdefault.aspx

Will give you the thermal data (U-Factor, SHGC-Solar Heat Gain Coefficient, VT-Visible Transmittance, CR-Condensation resistance, etc).

You will need to call the manufacturer for structural data (Air infiltration, DP-Design performance, etc). These numbers can be just as indicative of real world window performance as the thermal numbers.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

maevansjr wrote:Leaning towards Champion windows. I liked the presentation. I liked the window. I like the warranty. APEX is dealing the 8000 series Alside which seems to get slammed on this site. Gilkey window has a little too much frame for me but seems like a good window. A close second for me. Just prefer the Champion window so far.
It seems that all you are looking at so far are pocket sill windows that run rain water through the sill extrusion. Try looking at true sloped sill windows such as Softlite, Gorell, Okna, Sunrise, etc. They have a much better design.

JScott

#10 Post by JScott »

I think you are looking at 4 losers personally.

How did you like the Apex presentation. :lol:

Champion has 10 price drops, where are you now.

Pocket sills, champion and gilkey, have issues in the Ohio Valley unless you hose out the sills every spring to keep the mold from building up.

Western Hills carries the Soft-lite and the Gorell.

I'm in Louisville and service Cincy but it is against board policy to direct you to me for financial gain. Western is a competitor but check Angies list for reviews to help you.

The Soft-lite Imperial LS is slightly more than the Gorell 5105 and we feel that you get the best bang for the buck in our environment.

I hope this helps and I am not slamming the competition, just providing you useful information that is factual. The Comfort365 glass is Cardinal 366 licensed under another name for marketing purposes. One of the reasons I dislike the company. Its an ethics and integrity thing I have. Gilkey states they make there own windows when they are fabricators, not pultruders, and many of there windows are actually purchased from Soft-lite. If you get "factory direct" pricing then it should be 30% less than an independant distributor. But they are not. Gives them 30% for a huge marketing budget.

Paul Harvey would say this is the rest of the story. May he rest in peace.

:mrgreen:

maevansjr

#11 Post by maevansjr »

I took my time and did my homework. I have decided to go with Soft Lite Imperial LS. I found two local delearers that sold the Imperial LS. Their original quotes came in at about the same price. I asked one of the dealers if there were any deals this month, and he knocked off about 10% from their original estimate. I'll try to add as much detail as possible to help others in future pricing. My main goal was a quality window, at a price I could afford, that qualified for the tax credit.

I have a cookie cutter dixon builder 2-story home made in 1997 with the worst low grade penco windows ever made. Busted seals, warped, hard to open, leaky, etc.

I went with the double pane, argon fill, low e double hung white vinly windows with .29 U factor, .28 Solar Heat Gain Coefficient. I went with no grids to save money, plus I don't really care for grids.

5 windows downstairs 43x50
1 window downstairs 36x36
6 windows upstairs 43x50
1 window upstairs 47x47 (tempered glass b/c near bathtub)
1 patio door slider 72x80
con't

maevansjr

#12 Post by maevansjr »

The final quote I received was $7200 for Imperial LS. That's about $1600 less than when I started this adventure. Just guessing, I believe the patio door was $1500 and the windows were $5700.

So after the tax credit it will be $5700 for 13 windows and a patio door.

For you future window buyers, read these blogs. I was totally lost, but now I'm just semi lost. I would get as many quotes as you can stand. It seems most of the time someone would give a quote, and once I said I was quoted less, they were eager to match. Luckily the window I like the best was about a $1000 less than the previous dealers. I was also fortunate that there were 2 dealers with 30 plus years of experience that I could get pricing from.

Just do your homework and go with your gut feeling when you are ready. Don't get pressured into a quick decision. I would take at least a month before making a decision like this.

Good luck. I'm just a peon trying not to get scewed. Hopefully this helps someone.

randy

#13 Post by randy »

You made a terrific choice - the Imperial LS is a top performer and will serve you well.

singlepane

#14 Post by singlepane »

Does the quote include install or just the products?

maevansjr

#15 Post by maevansjr »

Yes. My quote included everything. Install of new windows and patio door and removal off old windows, patio door and debris. They said it will be like they were never there.