Choose between W.World, W.Universe, Glass Block and Nu-Sash

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mills

Choose between W.World, W.Universe, Glass Block and Nu-Sash

#1 Post by mills »

We are replacing two oversize windows. We live in Northeast Ohio and so want some good insulation. First Window World came out and practically kidnapped my husband for two and a half hours trying to bamboozle him with high tech gagetry and slick ads. Then Window Universe came out and he told him he only had an hour. Then we had a quote from Nu-Sash, another two hour visit. Finally Glass Block Windows came out and stayed ten minutes but when I asked for a if they would give us a completion date on the contract, he said no, they can't do that. His quote was very minimal with information.

I did a little research and called the companies back. From what I was told Window World uses subcontractors and has a local company that makes the windows here in Ohio called Associate Materials.
The window we would be purchasing would be called Comfort Window.

Window Universe windows are mad by Berkshire and the windows we would be getting are Revere Berkshire.

When I did research on Nu-Sash it looked like there was a company called Soverint and another called American Weatherseal that was associated with them but I'm not sure which one manufactures their windows now. '
Glass Block Headquarters is a local window company here in Cleveland, Ohio and they get their windows from Lang Exteriors. They said the window they quoted us was a r5 Super series with solar heat (shgc) of .25 and a U factor of .2. When I told the sales person that I thought the U factor was supposed to be at least 2 or 3 fror this climate, he said that .2 was the same as 2. (Really?)

Please help.

randy

Re: Choose between W.World, W.Universe, Glass Block and Nu-Sash

#2 Post by randy »

Soft-lite is an Ohio company with great products. I'd recommend finding their closest dealer and giving them a shot. You might also look for a Sunrise or Okna dealer. So far you've only talked to the guys that give this industry a bad reputation.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

That and two of the windows that you looked at are the same unit.

Keep shopping but get researched up and you will save yourself a ton of heartache and BS in the future.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+2... and just to add to the above posts, you want the U value to be lower. The lower, the better, as it is the inverse of r value (as it goes down, r value goes up). In a double pane package, a .28 is not that hard to achieve, so I'd look to meet or beat that number.
Just to clarify the options that you've seen: Revere, AMI (Associated Materials Inc), and Alside are all the same company. They have a few different products that each go under multiple names, ie: the Revere Berkshire= Alside Excalibur = Comfort World 4000.

mills

#5 Post by mills »

Thanks for the tips. I can't believe we've only talked to the bad guys. I am going to do more research. I just got off the phone from Lang Exteriors and asked about the quote I got for the R5 super series. I was told that that's just the glass. The vinyl frame wasn't even specified ont the quote. She told me that the best welded material is platinum 2400 and enhanced 1600. I went through some of this researching mattresses but never like this. I will look into those Ohio companies also. Is there a lot of secrecy in this industry? It doesn't seem as transparent as it should be.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

There is a bunch of BS in this industry like most retail stuff.

Just not as much dedicated portals to get unbiased information.

Thankfully...you found us here!!! :D

Please feel free to show your support by "Like" ing the posters on Facebook or positive feedback/reviews.