Simonton 5050 Sash Play

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ensic

Simonton 5050 Sash Play

#1 Post by ensic »

I have read a number of posts on this forum. This has to be the most informative forum on the topic. Thank you to the contributors.

I'm looking at Simonton 5050 windows as budget is important. The contractor I am working showed me some 5050s he installed in his own home. They have a certain amount of play. When the sashes are locked, they can both be slide up and down together a little. I would guestimate about 1/8-1/4". Is this normal or does it have to do with the installation? Does it affect their performance?

Do the 5500s jiggle the same way? The cost of the 5500s is about 45% more, does this sound roughly right?

Again, many thanks.

Skydawggy

Re: Simonton 5050 Sash Play

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Simonton uses a slightly different compression seal on both the 5050 and the 5500. Additionally the 5500 has a stepped sill which reduces the amount of movement of the sash as opposed to the sloped sill on the 5050 and other windows that use sloped sill. It shouldn't have much effect on air infiltration although the 5500 does have a lower rate. But, then again, the 5050 is a budget window.

toddinmn

Re: Simonton 5050 Sash Play

#3 Post by toddinmn »

My brother just put in some Prism platinum's in his house and noticed about the same amount of movement as you described.Doesn't seem to be a problem but they do move a lot more then some other brands.