Sunrise Essential Replacement Windows (PLEASE HELP)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
smitty80_03

Sunrise Essential Replacement Windows (PLEASE HELP)

#1 Post by smitty80_03 »

Can anyone tell me of a personal experience with Sunrise Essential Replacement windows. What is there durability, and why are they so cheap?

Delaware Mike

Re: Sunrise Essential Replacement Windows (PLEASE HELP)

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I doubt any dealers or installers can give you an accurate long term answer on the Essential series from Sunrise. It's so new that we haven't installed them and then had years pass to see what may potentially go wrong. I don't really care for them. I have installed just a few and found the frame to be just to weak. I think that the basic concept is that once a customer sees the Essentials next to the other Sunrise products, they understand why the better windows cost more and are willing to pony up the money for a better product. The glass is from Cardinal and is the same that goes into the regular Sunrise windows, which is good.

thermal99

#3 Post by thermal99 »

this must be their lower end model?

steve r

#4 Post by steve r »

I just had 26 Sunrise Essentials installed close to 90 days ago. For the most part I am pretty satisfied. It is obviously too soon to know how well they will hold up but I think they have a very nice appearance. Externally I couldn't really tell any difference between them and the more expensive line , although the Essentials are definitely a lighter weight frame.
As far as performance I was hoping for a bigger improvement in my A/C performance (my primary concern, living in Texas) . I would say it is noticeable but not nite and day. Looking back I kind of wish I had chosen a darker tint glass as there is still noticeable heat gain from the sun coming thru (not available in the Essentials though) My windows were installed in the middle of July during one of the hottest, driest summers on record. Its hard to calculate an actual $ savings so far because I had to run the well pump quite alot to keep everything watered. The temp is just now dropping into the 80's so I can't say about the cold weather performance but our winters here are pretty mild and I usually keep the windows open anyways weather permitting.
I will say that I used one of the regular posters on here - Randy- for the install and they did a great job! He does what he says he will do and does it when he says he will.
On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate the windows an 8, and the install a 10. If you are on a budget I would say they are a pretty good choice.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Thanks for coming back to the boards and providing feedback Steve, not many people do that unfortunately, and is valuable to homeowners that are still shopping. I also appreciate the kind words.

My 2 cents on the Essentials line. Steve considered the Sunrise Vanguard (both double hung and single hung), but ultimately decided to go with the Essentials. The frames are not as strong as the Vanguard or other higher end lines of course, but compared to most budget lines, we were impressed. Sunrise does a good job of squaring up their frames and sashes.

As Steve mentioned, the optional "power-e" glass package does meet the tax credit requirements, but is not optimal for extreme environments (hot or cold). Time will tell how they hold up, and I will be interested in hearing your feedback after winter and during the next summer heat wave Steve.