Schuco/Insulsash vs. Schuco/SupremaPlus vs. Schuco/...Schuco

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
SteveS

Schuco/Insulsash vs. Schuco/SupremaPlus vs. Schuco/...Schuco

#1 Post by SteveS »

Can anyone here give me some idea if there are any significant differences between Insulsash windows and Suprema Plus windows(both made in CT by Schuco, right?), and between those two Schuco variants and plain 'ole Schuco windows (Corona 4000, 3000, etc.)?

I have received quotes from an Insulsash dealer and from a Suprema Plus dealer for one 1-lite casement(28w x 40h), one 2-lite, 1-operable - sash casement(56w x 57h), 1 2-lite french swing(56w x 51h) and 2 2-lite in-line sliders(56w x 51h; all dimensions are in inches). The Insulsash dealer's quote is nearly $1500 more than the Suprema Plus dealer's quote(approx. $4500 vs. nearly $6000).

I have some experience with the Insulsash dealer…they sold me and installed a 6-ft sliding patio door last June. The price for the door ($2560) seemed kinda high, but I rationalized it by assuming that I will only need to install the Schuco door once, but replacing the existing wood - w/aluminum - exterior - cladding - Pella ProLine door for $1400 would need to be repeated every 12 years, if the new ones rot out under the cladding as fast as my old one did. The Pella ProLine windows I am looking at replacing are well on their way down the same Road to Rot that the ProLine patio door trod. Anyway, the Insulsash dealer did what appears to be a good job on that installation. In addition, my neighbor bought a house full of Insulsash Schuco’s from the same dealer, and appears to be happy with the product, the installation, and several follow- up service calls; likewise for his father, who has also purchased a house full of the same brand/dealer of windows. So far, I have not talked to any references for the Suprema Plus dealer.

Anyway, to return to my original question, a)is the Insulsash version sufficiently different from the Suprema Plus version of a Schuco window to justify some or all of the spread between the two quotes, and b)do either these Schuco variants differ materially from the non-Insulsash, non-Suprema Plus flavor of Schuco products? Given the 1/3 higher quote, I could live with the higher Insulsash price if I had some assurance that I was getting a better product, and, I suspect, maybe a better installation job. (Insulsash dealer sez’ he has his own in-house installation crew, but the Suprema Plus dealer subcontracts out all of its installation work).

Thanks in advance for any insight the pros here can give me. It is mainly from this site that I have been sold(brainwashed? :) ) on the merits of Schuco products. I may wind up installing a BMW window in a Hyundai house, but at least they will keep me a little warmer this winter as I try to figure out how to pay for them!

WindDoze

#2 Post by WindDoze »

My understanding is that the only significant differences between the Insulsash, Suprema Plus, and the Corona 4000 (Premier) are cosmetic. There is a significant difference between the Corona 4000 and 3000 -- we don't even sell the 3000 because there are better windows available at the same price point.

The Suprema Plus dealers are part of a seamless vinyl siding consortium that Schuco made an exclusive window offering to. We're a regular Schuco dealer -- the only difference between the two windows is the exterior glazing bead...a cosmetic difference only. We do have a Suprema Plus dealer in our area so I've compared the two windows personally. I don't have an Insulsash dealer here, but I saw them being made in CT and my Schuco rep told me that the window was essentially the same as the one we carry.

HipKat

#3 Post by HipKat »

The biggest difference with the insulsash is the lift rail.
In August, I finally saw the insulsash next to the Corona 4000. The lift rail on the insulsash is full length, the 4000 I saw wasn't.

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

As previously stated, they are all very similar. The Insulsash does have an integrated full length vinyl lift rail while the others have powder coat finished steel lift handles. The SupremaPlus has a concave glazing bead while the Corona 4000 has a convex bead. I believe the 3000 has been renamed the 2500 and is virtually the same as the 4000 but it has a flat glazing bead and is not available in triple pane or woodgrain interior finishes. All glazing beads are on the interior.

nmchugh6

#5 Post by nmchugh6 »

Does the Suprema Plus have TPS? (Sales Rep showed me marketing material from Schuco that spoke to it but it the material wasn't model specific; rep also didn't seem to know a lot about the window...he was confused when I asked about the spacer and he was also confused when I asked what model he was speaking about when we first started our conversation...I mentioned Corona, Insulsah, Suprema. When I mentioned Suprema, he seemed to act like that sounded familiar. Maybe because he's new or maybe because he only sells that model. In any event, can someone confirm please.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

nmchugh6 wrote:Does the Suprema Plus have TPS?

Yes it does, but the 2500 does not. It has Intercept.

nmchugh6

#7 Post by nmchugh6 »

Thank you Windows4. You've been a tremendous help as I've asked numerous questions over the last few months. I sincerely appreciate all your help.