Trying to decide between Alpha Windows, and Tri-State Window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jbssbw

Re: Trying to decide between Alpha Windows, and Ter-State Window

#16 Post by jbssbw »

I wonder if you tell your customers that you would get just about the same performance by putting on $50 storm windows than replacing windows. That putting new windows is more about looks than performance, that it can take up to 20 years to get your money from any energy savings unless you windows are so bad that replacement is justified. Don't get me wrong Okna is a very good window but only having so much to spend I had to get what I think was the best that I could afford. Doing half this year and the other half latter was not a option, if I could I would of spent to get very good windows.

thermal99

Re: Trying to decide between Alpha Windows, and Tri-State Window

#17 Post by thermal99 »

i always tell my customers they can just use storm windows; then they laugh.. putting in storm windows is NOT going to be better than putting in new replacement windows. where did you come up with that !

frank m

#18 Post by frank m »

I im responding to the ggoblin comment.I had read your comment a couple of times since you are the first post when i was in the market for windows.Very recently i had my 19 double hung windows, a 5 lite casement bow and 1 6ft patio door installed from Tri State Window Factory.I got their 4200 series model triple glass which 2 of the 3 panes are high performace low-e glass.The pane facing the street is clear.The windows are foam filled frame and sash and aluminum reinforced. Each one of the panes are 1/8 of a inch thick and they come with a beautiful automatic locking system and i also got the invisible screen.I must tell you the entire window is of a superior quality.The window is fully welded with the thickest vinyl lift rail which is important because thats what you use to lift the window up and down.This window also has a true sloped sill for immediate water drainage.Regarding the glass tri state does not make a window with 3 low e glasses for the main reason because they dont want their glass to be to dark.They use 2 high performance low-e glasses and 1 clear pane on their triple pane, and this window has the best efficiency available today.Before i made the descison to purchase these windows being that i had read your review i had to check it out. I went to Alphas showroom and i wasnt impressed with their product.They only make 1 window its partially welded only on top. The bottom is screwed together which is old technology.Their window also had a bulky looking frame on the outside which means you lose glass about 2 1/2 to 3 inches.Then i had went to tri state window factory. i was very impressed with their product they have very rich product line,Double glass model 4100 series,model 4200 series triple glass,5400 series triple glass with krypton gas,solar therm window which has quad panes. Tri states model 4100 has a u-factor of a .26 the model 4200 has a u-factor of .20 the 5400 series is .18 and the solar therm is a u factor of .10.Those numbers are the lowest anywhere. the lower the u factor the more energy efficent the window.That is what makes Tri State Window Factory the most energy efficent windows in the country. After i had my beautiful windows installed me and my wife decided to look at vinyl siding. We wanted to check out a few places .So we went to alpha in ronkonkoma at the factory and to our surprise alpha wasn't there and there was a "for rent" sign on the lawn. I went home and called their number that they had on the business card at the time of the window estimate and the phone was disconnected. I looked on the website to check the number and they had all new numbers and a different name. From Alpha window systems they now are alpha windows and siding. I talked to some other siding companys about what happened to alpha. They all had said that alpha is no longer a window manufacturer and no longer under the name alpha window systems. I im told that they are under they operate from a store front under the name of alpha windows and siding and are a contractor and buy windows from building suppliers and are installing them along with siding.Also the 5400 series model triple glass is not $400 installed.It is more then that.
Last edited by frank m on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frank m

#19 Post by frank m »

I hope i was helpful.Goodluck to everyone who is looking for windows.
Last edited by frank m on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frank m

#20 Post by frank m »

GGobblin wrote:I have seen both windows and heard both pitches.
Tri-State double and triple pane versions. Their triple pane glass looked really green.
Didn't like that at all. The specs were U.18 according to the rep and the flyer.
Their double pane was clearer. Apha showed me a double pane that had 1" space between the panes- most other windows have 7/8". He said his window had 2.2 gauge vinyl - as opposed to .99 from Tri-State.

Alpha is more expensive than even Tri-State's highest triple pane.
I got a better vibe from the Alpha guy - seemed to know much more and was less of a salesman show.
Alpha had a .27U factor -
Anyone had Tristate windows installed ?
Are the triple panes really that green?
I was told that the Alpha double pane with 1" in between the glass would be the quietest- quieter than triple panes. The glass in the middle of the triple pane makes it louder- Don't know if that is true.

I would imagine I'd be looking for a low U factor, thick glass, multiple panes, argon/krypton mix.
So far - I have narrowed it to 3 companies - Alpha Windows, Tri-State Window Factory (Deer Park, NY), Serious Windows.
Can anyone help ?
frank m wrote:I im responding to the ggoblin comment.I had read your comment a couple of times since you are the first post when i was in the market for windows.Very recently i had my 19 double hung windows, a 5 lite casement bow and 1 6ft patio door installed from Tri State Window Factory.I got their 4200 series model triple glass which 2 of the 3 panes are high performace low-e glass.The pane facing the street is clear.The windows are foam filled frame and sash and aluminum reinforced. Each one of the panes are 1/8 of a inch thick and they come with a beautiful automatic locking system and i also got the invisible screen.I must tell you the entire window is of a superior quality.The window is fully welded with the thickest vinyl lift rail which is important because thats what you use to lift the window up and down.This window also has a true sloped sill for immediate water drainage.Regarding the glass tri state does not make a window with 3 low e glasses for the main reason because they dont want their glass to be to dark.They use 2 high performance low-e glasses and 1 clear pane on their triple pane, and this window has the best efficiency available today.Before i made the descison to purchase these windows being that i had read your review i had to check it out. I went to Alphas showroom and i wasnt impressed with their product.They only make 1 window its partially welded only on top. The bottom is screwed together which is old technology.Their window also had a bulky looking frame on the outside which means you lose glass about 2 1/2 to 3 inches.Then i had went to tri state window factory. i was very impressed with their product they have very rich product line,Double glass model 4100 series,model 4200 series triple glass,5400 series triple glass with krypton gas,solar therm window which has quad panes. Tri states model 4100 has a u-factor of a .26 the model 4200 has a u-factor of .20 the 5400 series is .18 and the solar therm is a u factor of .10.Those numbers are the lowest anywhere. the lower the u factor the more energy efficent the window.That is what makes Tri State Window Factory the most energy efficent windows in the country. After i had my beautiful windows installed me and my wife decided to look at vinyl siding. We wanted to check out a few places .So we went to alpha in ronkonkoma at the factory and to our surprise alpha wasn't there and there was a "for rent" sign on the lawn. I went home and called their number that they had on the business card at the time of the window estimate and the phone was disconnected. I looked on the website to check the number and they had all new numbers and a different name. From Alpha window systems they now are alpha windows and siding. I talked to some other siding companys about what happened to alpha. They all had said that alpha is no longer a window manufacturer and no longer under the name alpha window systems. I im told that they operate from a store front under the name of alpha windows and siding and are a contractor and buy windows from building suppliers and are installing them along with siding.Also the model 5400 series triples glass is not $400.It is more then that
Last edited by frank m on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

miscus555

#22 Post by miscus555 »

i'm in the same boat here......any feedback is much appreciated.

i had Tri state over twice. 1st time, the salesman didn't give a great presentation for what i was interested in. he didn't have the info for the doors or siding. i also thought his "best price" was a little high when compared to places like Unified (i know they don't really compare to tri state but i was just using as a price comparision) gave me a price for the 4200's of about $7,400 for 12 dh's, 2 awning, 1 slider

i called them again requesting a better salesman and they sent another. great presentation, came with all the needed samples for windows, doors, and siding. we get down to the pricing and the guy completely nickel and dimes me. prices out everything.....frames, stop molding, etc. price for 4200's was $8,700 without frames. it was embarassing even though i was interested in siding and doors. he including absolutely nothing. i thought i'd get a better price.
on top of this, tri state was taking 50% off and giving free triple panes. didn't think 12 windows and a couple smaller windows originally cost $17k.

he also new i had Alpha over prior to him and still charged that high price. He also said Alpha's showroom in Massapequa has TS windows on it and that Alpha doesn't make there own windows which means their factory in Ronkonkama doesn't exist. he said i'd be surprised if i drove out to that address.
can anyone confirm any of this????

alpha had a good visit with me. salesman said he was with the company for 20 years which i didn't entirely believe. they included stuff in the deal like shutters, stop molding, frames, etc. also oftered to take care of siding issues i had on the rest of my home (i'm only getting new siding on the front). high priced also but not like tri state. i still have to call them regarding a new 50% off sign they have in front of there showroom.

they charged me about $12,500 for the whole deal (12 dh's ,1 slider, 2 awnings, front siding, 2 entry doors, 1 storm)

my budget is around 8-9k.

so what's my options? do i have alot of try and knock down the price calls to deal with??

thanks in advance

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

8-9K is not enough to cover that scope of work with quality products.

Skydawggy

#24 Post by Skydawggy »

+1.

You are going to have to re-examine your budget or you will end up with junk.

Even with a very low price on those windows, you won't be able to afford anything but a low quality door. My guess is it's going to cost between $10,500 and $13,000 to put quality windows, 2 entry doors and a storm door in your house. One of the big mistakes people make is trying to find a window to fit a budget that's not realistic.

HenryJ

#25 Post by HenryJ »

I read the comments about the tristate windows and must strongly disagree with the comments about their triple glass. We looked at what tristate was offering in both double and triple glass. They had a standard double and triple glass and their new high performance Maxi line double and triple glass. The "4100 Maxi" double glass, "4200 Maxi" Triple Glass, "5400 Maxi" Triple Glass and "Quad Maxi" Solartherm window. We did our homework and the new Maxi Product line Tristate Windows sells are qualified for the new EPA 2012 Guidelines. When the new administration came into office, the EPA wanted to implement these new guildlines for manufacturers to produce energy efficient windows with a U-Factor of .24 or less. The Vinly Window Manufacturers of America lobbied Washington to delay the high efficiency implementation until 2012. Anyone looking at replacement windows should be looking at the best energy efficiency now, anything with more than a .24 u-factor will be OBSOLETE in 2012 with limited energy savings. The 22 windows Tristate Window Factory installed are beautiful, this "green color" someone mentioned is pure BS. We heard the same scare tactics when we shopped for our windows. One company even tried to tell me "I don't live in alaska and dont need the efficiency". Do your homework people, don't be intimidated by scare tactics, research the u-Factors, Scrutinize the warranties (Lifetime warranty on vinyl for peeling and chipping? Vinyl does not chip or peel, it sits in the landfill for 20 million years unscathed. Get a warranty that is lifetime on ALL Parts and ALL Labor. If the warranties don't include labor, you have to pay for the labor, travel time, handling fees and freight, it will cost more than their original cost of the window).I read some comments about the Tristate Pricing, while I would love to have paid only $400 for these windows, the other companies were offering .29 - .30 u-factor windows for almost $500 each. Trisate Windows did have windows for $300-$400 but not the Maxi Line. The government says we need to be serious about conserving energy, protecting the environment and reducing dependency on foreign oil. Trisate Window Factory is helping me do my part.

GGobblin

#26 Post by GGobblin »

The Tri-State windows are GREEN - Saw it for myself.
When the salesman had no answer why their glass was way mor discolored than any manufacturer I have seen (Sears, Anderson, pella, Alpha) he realized his heavy pitch was no longer necessary and bolted- never heard from him again.

That is not a company I want to do all the windows on my house .....

The guy with the long response to my initial post - OBVIOUSLY either works for the company or has an interest in it in some way.
Complete BS

Stay ayay from Tri-State believe me.....

JVM225

#27 Post by JVM225 »

I'm late to this thread, but a long time Tri-State customer who just ordered more windows from them.

My first experience with them was about 25 years ago when I wandered in to their Seaford showroom. My house at the time had ancient drafty windows and ugly painted cedar siding. I had shopped around and liked both their products and relatively fair pricing. They did a great job and I never had a problem with my windows or the siding they installed.
Fast forward to when I bought my current, larger, house. The previous owners had changed some of the windows with an unknown brand of Vinyl Replacements. I had Tri-State do the siding and change the rest of the original windows in the house. There was no comparison. The replacements that were here when I got here were no where near as good as Tri-State.
Over the years I have been replacing the Vinyl Replacements I inherited with new Tri-State Replacements. Each time I shop around before going back to them and although they are never the cheapest, they are always the best value when you look at the quality.
Along the way I have added a few windows where there never were windows before. I listened to my contractor and went with Andersons. Although the Andersons I have now tilt in for easy cleaning (which is a long overdue feature), the exterior mounted grills are a pain comapred to the ones between the glass that you get with Vinyl Replacements. Overall, I don't really notice a difference in the quality of the Andersons over the Tri-States. There might be one, but nothing I can really measure.
I just ordered a very large Bay from Tri-State for my kitchen and ten double hungs for a 3 season Florida room. I thought I could get away with a cheaper replacement in that unheated Florida room, but when I shopped around it didn't pay to go with the cheaper ones where I would only be saving a few dollars so I went with Tri-State.
They have always been great to deal with and produced a fantastic product over the 25 years I've been a customer.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#28 Post by masterext »

jvm225
your post is idiotic and its obvious you work for tristate.

Delaware Mike

#29 Post by Delaware Mike »

Most folks aren't that naive, especially around here to fool for this BS. However, it's a good laugh with my morning coffee.

Windows on Washington

#30 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am late to this thread but I have used Windows on Washington and they were great....ooops :D