Okna 500 quote - $8500 for 21 windows. Too Low?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
smoothieq

Okna 500 quote - $8500 for 21 windows. Too Low?

#1 Post by smoothieq »

I'm replacing 21 windows, 2 of which are the small bathroom 1/2 frosted double hung type, one a casement, ~38 inches and the rest (18), double hung, around 24x45 more or less.

I got a quote from an established company with good ratings on Angie's List for around $8,500, which comes out to a little over $400 a window. The model specs are approximately double pane, low-e, argon, foam-filled and welded.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I've read on the internet, this is on the low side. Is it? If so, is there a reduction in the quality of the install to make up for the low cost? Or something else?

I read about the suit where Okna's windows were not foam filled when a compnay claimed they were.

What do you think of the estimate?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Okna 500 quote - $8500 for 21 windows. Too Low?

#2 Post by masterext »

that is a ridiculously low price.. i find myself amazed at how low some of these prices are and how they arent losing money at that rate. the 500 series usually sells in the 500 plus range. thats also cheap for the 400 series as well.
i am guessing the salesman made an error and is going to eat the mistake. when you have 21 windows, its quite plausible that the salesman miscounted . this doesnt happen often but it can happen. the window itself is costly due to the higher quality, thats why i am guessing a major pricng error took place . i would not look a gift horse in the mouth.
Last edited by masterext on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smoothieq

#3 Post by smoothieq »

masterext wrote:that is a ridiculously low price.. i find myself amazed at how low some of these prices are and how they arent losing money at that rate. the 500 series usually sells in the 500 plus range.
i am guessing the salesman made an error and is going to eat the mistake..it happens..i would not look a gift horse in the mouth.
I'm tempted to take the offer, but I wonder if they're not eating the mistake, but doing something questionable to get to that price. Perhaps using the 400 model in lieu of the 500?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If your quote does not say "Deluxe" model, then you will not get foam filling, locking screens or the top Low-E package. The Deluxe package does cost more.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Window4U (IL) wrote:If your quote does not say "Deluxe" model, then you will not get foam filling, locking screens or the top Low-E package. The Deluxe package does cost more.
Just curious, what area do you live in?

smoothieq

#6 Post by smoothieq »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
Window4U (IL) wrote:If your quote does not say "Deluxe" model, then you will not get foam filling, locking screens or the top Low-E package. The Deluxe package does cost more.
Just curious, what area do you live in?
Ah, it is not the deluxe package - it's the dual glazed with ESP. The salesman did say low-e and argon, so I guess the e coating is not the highest grade?

I'm in New York City.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The price is low but still plausable.
Great product selection by the way.
Here are the questions you ask with low prices, am I getting the quality of install that I want and will this company be here in ten years to service me.
Are they using low expansion foam, what are they using for caulk? Is capping included, contoured or box?
What are the terms and how much are you in control?
Check out references.
Turn your BS meter on high sensitivity and listen to it.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Excellent product, price is definitely on the low side, but can be plausible as Anthony mentioned if you are dealing with a smaller company with very low overhead. It is definitely at the limit of the lowest possible price that you'll see that product installed. That could be a good deal, or bad depending on the company, so do some major homework on these guys. What seems like a good deal may not be so if it means a cut-rate installation or cutting corners in other areas.
To put it in perspective, I'd say that a solid "good deal" on that window would be in the $500-$600 range installed, and some companies go hundreds higher than that.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

i dont know guys, even if they are a very small company, and i mean very small, thats still a crazy low price for that window. i keep asking myself how they are'nt losing money. many times a very large dealer will be afforded better pricing than a smaller company based on volume, even if thats the case i just dont see how they are turning a profit.
nonetheless, it is what it is. if they did indeed make a pricing error ( probable), i would just go with the flow here. constantly asking yourself if they are going to do a sub par install will just drive you crazy only because this seems to be a pricing error based on the product itself .

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't know of any problems that Okna has had in the past, other than the fact that a very large dealer of theirs at one point had misrepresented the product in their advertising (The foam filling issue). That dealer is now out of business, while Okna continues to grow and produce phenomenal products in every sense. (Incidentally, they also retrofit or replaced the windows of any consumers that complained out of their own pockets, and additionally have changed their foam filling process specifications so that there can be no mistake).
The issue has no merit, and is only propagated by competitors that have ZERO other grounds to put down what is a great window made by a great company.