old aluminum frame, replacement or construction window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jello

old aluminum frame, replacement or construction window

#1 Post by jello »

I am shopping around for windows in California, and searching for answers to my newbie questions. I have a 1978 built ranch home with original aluminum slider windows in stucco that I want replaced. The house framing should be wood. I will be searching for Simmonton and Anlin certified dealers.

Well before I begin my search, when do you use replacement..and when construction window? My windows seem to me (from seeing the gaps present between window and stucco) that there is no insulation present. In order to achieve maximum efficiency should I have the stucco removed around the window to ensure a good installation? Or go with the common replacement method over the old frame.

I have concerns since these windows leak like crazy. I can feel the draft standing in front and also can hear stuff outside like I am literally standing outside. This is my first home and I want to make sure things are done right. Thank you (The more questions I ask here, the better equipped I am in talking to installers).

WINDOWMAN2654

Re: old aluminum frame, replacement or construction window

#2 Post by WINDOWMAN2654 »

My advice would be to determine if you have window stops and enough room on the sides and top to frame window with wood trim.
I would not disturb the stucco, unless it's already loose and easily comes off cleanly.

you can always install a 1X buck frame inside the existing master frame to avoid chipping out stucco and giving yourself more frame thickness for exterior window trim.This will of course make the window 1 1/2 " smaller on the width and height.

Alot of builder windows or new construction windows come with a nailing flange around the 4 sides and do not leave much room for window trim.

Hope This Helps,
Windowman2654

magnumforc

#3 Post by magnumforc »

We used replacement style over the existing aluminum frame and so far, it turned out fine. The flange on the replacement windows covers about 1 1/2 inches all around the existing frame opening and is sealed all around, so there is no stucco damage. You can't see any evidence of the sealant against the stucco when they finished installation. For me, the only question that remains is how well the sealant will work when we get those driving rains off the Pacific. I might not find that out until late fall or even later, considering our storm season here in Southern California.

It has cut the heat and cold greatly, so, as I said, so far, so good.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

IMO , I most always colaspe the old frame and install an insert style replacement.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Best way to go for overall efficiency is to pull the frame.

Frame jump is easiest and cheapest.