help with window comparisons!!!!!!!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kepplebailey

help with window comparisons!!!!!!!

#1 Post by kepplebailey »

Hi, I am new here, and need help with window selections. I have tried to read many posts and reviews on window selections. I do not mean to repost a topic that might have previously been discussed, so I am sorry if that happens. I am replacing 13 windows in my house. I am going from single to double hung, looking for tax credit eligible. My house is not very expensive so top of the line is not necessarily what I am looking for. I understand good windows are costly, but if I ever sell my house I don't want to lose money because I bought expensive windows and can't get my money back. Now having said please don't think I am trying to be cheap, I am looking for a good quality window that will fit my needs. Its like buying a Hummer to deliver pizza's, nice car but not very efficient. I have had Lowe's, and Window World come out so far. Home Depot and a rep for Sunrise windows will be coming next week. Lowes recommended Reliabilt 3201 series, and Window World listed the 4000 series. Both estimates were relatively close. 13 for around $5500. I know I am pushing it close to tax credit deadline, but we finally saved enough money. I just do not want to make a quick decision due to time constraints. Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!

Windows on Washington

Re: help with window comparisons!!!!!!!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Between those two, I prefer the Reliabilt but only slightly.

You really need to keep looking. You can find a pretty good window at that number and a much better one at a slightly higher price.

Staffy

#3 Post by Staffy »

What area are you in? I would recommend you contact one of the guys from the forum who support your area... unless you want to be stuck researching and comparing windows for months (like I have had to do).

So far I have learned that you have to look at multiple things when choosing a window...

1. Performance... you state that you care about the Tax Credit, but that narrows the search down only slightly.
2. Price... you did not state your budget, but based on your post, assuming under $6k or so.
3. Appearance and Wife Factor... this was the one I did not take into account and it hosed me :)
4. Find a competent installer you trust. This is just as hard to find as making the window decision.

So again I would recommend you talk to someone here by pressing the "Request Quote" button, or you find a good installer that handles multiple window companies.. (very hard to find).

Jay (Just a homeowner)

ps... from what I have read on the forum, your recommended short list will be:

Simonton 500
Okna
Gorell
Soft-Lite
Plygem

kepplebailey

#4 Post by kepplebailey »

I live in the Nashville TN, area. Most of the suggested windows seem to run from the 600 and up range. $6000 would be my upper end. I know its not alot, but I have single hung windows currently.

kepplebailey

#5 Post by kepplebailey »

Ok, just got done with salesman for Wincore 7700 series. He was alittle higher but said that he had his own crew not subcontracted. He wanted $5700 for everything. I called Lowe's for refrences and they told me that they could not give them out due to privacy issues, and that they would in turn be the reference.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Wincore....i.e. Simonton, is not a bad window.

It is made by the men that started Simonton and it is a pretty spot on clone.

kepplebailey

#7 Post by kepplebailey »

Thats who I am leaning toward right now. I have heard to many complaints about WW series 4000. I will say that review wise they have good reviews for the local store. I am going to look at a couple of jobs the Wincore company has done. I will just be happy when this is all over!

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

Windows on Washington wrote:Wincore....i.e. Simonton, is not a bad window.

It is made by the men that started Simonton and it is a pretty spot on clone.

I finally got to see the Wincore and the Simonton Reflections 5500 side by side and I thought the Simonton was a little better window in appearance. The welds were better on the Simonton and the Wincore seemed a little less precisely built. There was a little more play in the sashes of the Wincore.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would hope you would find someone to do the Simonton 5500 within your budget.
You are pushing the deadline which will effect your net budget.

kepplebailey

#10 Post by kepplebailey »

I saw that Home Depot carried a line of Simonton, but it is the 6000 series and the stormbreaker. I know I have heard alot of feedback to stay away from the big box stores. Is this line (I am assuming b/c higher number) better than the 5000 series of Simonton. I am trying to look up info on it, or is it just a line for HD.

Skydawggy

#11 Post by Skydawggy »

You can purchase nearly the same Simonton Window as HD carries from a local Simonton dealer as the Prism Platinum or Reflections 5500.

kepplebailey

#12 Post by kepplebailey »

I looked up Siminton but I feel I will need to get a local contractor involved. My issue with that before anyone says "why is that a problem" is time. I know I am running out of time to order and install. I feel the Wincore 7700 is the better window with rating, welding, and U/sghc values. If I went with WW I would ask for the 6000 series, b/c there seems to be a couple of complaints for the 4000. Lowes called today and said they could bend the price a little. With my coupon my windows through Lowes would be about $1000 dollars cheaper. I know some will say you get what you pay for but in a $120K house $1000 is hell of a savings (especially when the total is between $5-6K). I would recommend a cadillac over a caprice to anyone but you aren't the one buying. I guess I need help in is the Reliabilt 3201 a good window or junk. Your honesty won't hurt my feelings that is why I am asking. Like I said I feel the Wincore is better, but both are supposed to have a lifetime replacement warranty. If the Wincore 7700 or even 4000/6000 from WW are really worth the extra $1000 please let me know!!

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

I would recommend the 3201 for what you are looking for in a window.These windows are sold under Atrium and Norandex names as well and you may want to get some more bids.More details on the install would be helpful as well.

kepplebailey

#14 Post by kepplebailey »

I had Home Depot come out with their Home Depot Home Services Dept. The salesman was very nice and informative. They have a great program as far as installation guarantees (hands down the best offered to me so far) and window guarantee. He brought out the Siminton 6500 series window. It was a nice window. The only problem was I was quoted $8550. This was after a 10% discount off the total installation and product cost. Way too much, I don't care what window he was selling. Call me "cheap" or whatever, you just can't call me "in debt". I went over to Lowe's today to look at the Reliabilt 3500 series. From what info I can gather, it is looked better than the 3201 series. The Lowe's rep said it would cost about $50 more a window. The construction didn't look bad, but he said it has a metal spacer instead of a superspacer.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

I realize that this may not be what you want to hear at this point, but I would not purchase windows "installed" from a box store or WW under any circumstances. You can find a high quality product from a qualified local window installer for a similar price if you look hard enough. Simonton and the others (Gorell, Softlite, ect) are great products and have different options for different price points. You really need to find a qualified install company though, as the "boxes" pay out about half of the "going rate". Draw your own conclusions as to how that translates to installation quality.