Full frame replacement windows for Kansas?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
allank

Full frame replacement windows for Kansas?

#1 Post by allank »

Like most consumers researching new windows I'm getting more confused not less! I have a 2500ft2 house with 21 main windows and 3 small windows. Most of our utility costs are heating in the winter, with only a few months cooling in the summer. Therefore winter comfort (and air penetration) are critical, as is condensation (or lack of it). Temperature swings are -20F to +100F, which raises concerns about the dimensional stability of the product, and its ability to not leak air or crack the water seals against the siding. Outdoor humidity is very low in winter (<10%) and high in summer (sometimes >80%). I'm also interested in maintenance free, and along with the humidity and driving rain makes me prefer something like vinyl or fibrex (hold that thought for now!). I don't like the idea of aluminium clad wood due to rot concerns. And wood is what I already have.

After reading this board the conclusion is that Renewal By Anderson is an over-priced medicore product. And they certainly want a lot for their install! But I'm not having much luck finding better windows with good installers in the Kansas City market. At least RBA in Kansas City is owned by Anderson, although I've read about some issues with Anderson Corporate customer service in general.

I'm going to try calling Schuco direct tomorrow. However is there any other good advice I should be considering or other brands AND installers, particularly in this market? Everything I've read indicates the installer matters at least as much as the actual product, and in some ways more.

If I can't get something reasonable, I may just stick with replacement windows and repairing the current frames. I have a good bid using Traco replacements.

Thanks for you time and comments.

allank

#2 Post by allank »

Schuco Corporate don't know if they have any distributors or installers in my area. I'm waiting a call back from their regional sales rep.

I've found a Milgard distributor and am now trying to find a good installer.

Any other suggestions appropriate for Kansas City area?