Have installer-whats the best inexpensive window?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
azzopf

Have installer-whats the best inexpensive window?

#1 Post by azzopf »

I have old aluminum windows on 50 year old colonial brick home which I'm selling next year, so anything is an improvement, just so it doesn't look cheap. I want the white colonial grill pattern. It's an okay house in an older section of a nice suburb. My installer is very experienced, discounting me, friend of my son's.

What do you suggest for best deal for a good inexpensive window?

azzopf

Addendum: Have installer-whats the best inexpensive window?

#2 Post by azzopf »

I only have 12 windows to replace, which is less negotiating power per/w:

approximates:
3-5' x 4'
2- 2' x 2' bathroom windows
1- 3' x 3'
2- 5' x 3'
4- 4' x 3'

I'm hoping I can buy good windows for less than $2,000

Windows on Washington

Re: Have installer-whats the best inexpensive window?

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

A good window for $165 per unit?

Are you talking about just the window and not installed?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Even for windows only, you'll have a hard time purchasing a good window on that budget. It also depends on the style (ie: dh, ca , sl, etc).... If your installer is as qualified as as you say, I'd suggest asking him where he purchases his products. He can likely get you a better deal through a building supply house on a decent product.

azzopf

#5 Post by azzopf »

That's not installed, just for the windows only.

azzopf

Re: Have installer-whats the best inexpensive window? (Pgh, PA)

#6 Post by azzopf »

I would want it to be energy star compliant, double pane, but minimal standards. If it was a little more, that's fine, but just trying to see if you can recommend a good low end window.

azzopf

RE: Have installer-whats the best inexpensive window?

#7 Post by azzopf »

Sorry, I keep adding more...he used to install high end windows, but is now a carpenter, so might have discount with old connection, but don't want to buy high end.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

Good AND low end windows (or anything else for that matter) do not exist. If you want junk you will find it in your price range. If you want good, you will have to re-think your budget and perhaps shift your priorities around some.

azzopf

#9 Post by azzopf »

OK, why am I playing a semantics game, here? I don't need platitudes, I just wanted some information and save time. I said, if I have to pay higher, okay, but that's my target. Also, I said good, not great. I think there should be good quality for low to mid level windows, because I know there are cheaper windows available for less than $165/unit.
So if anyone could please not answer a question with a question...I would expect an answer to go something like this:

x brand-good vinyl, energy star, $xx / unit -limitations are abc
y brand-good aluminum , energy star $xx / unit - limitations are bcd

Are you online to help or act superior? Not hard question, in my mind.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

You can find something half-way decent in the $170-$200 range, but that is only if he has an acct/discount and purchases the windows for you. If you can find a supply house to sell to you off the street you'll likely pay more, or your stuck with the junk at the big box stores....
Last edited by HomeSealed on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azzopf

#11 Post by azzopf »

Well, again, thanks for the non-answer. I'm sorry it was too hard to just write them down. I guess the window installers are just like the window sellers and have earned their reputations...

azzopf

#12 Post by azzopf »

By the way, in every line of business, there is always the anomaly, the up and comer, little known, for whatever reason...at any given time...an excellent deal for the money. Maybe I'm looking for what will someday be the next Anderson, Pella or whatever, but I know I will find GOOD windows for a price near the range I'm looking for without you know it alls. I'm really irritated by your arrogance.

I am an IT professional and I never went to school for it, just learned it. For years before that I'd talk to my bro in law and he had this attitude like...you wouldn't understand and would talk down. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, mechanics all do the same thing, and I have learned a helluva lot having gone through divorce, gone th rough health issues, gone through career changes, been a financial professional, been an it professional, etc, and you kjnow what...NONE OF IT IS BRAIN SURGERY, just learning a set of terminology, that's about it. We are all dispensable.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Once again, you're asking questions that we can't give you a specific answer on (specific pricing)... On brands, here is a thread that is 4th down the list: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3967 ....
Last edited by HomeSealed on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Here is another one right at the top of the list: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3963&p=21669#p21669 :)
.... and another one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3908 ..... You can find decent products made by these companies in the price range I mentioned.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Simonton 5050