Okna warranty?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
grendels_arm

Okna warranty?

#1 Post by grendels_arm »

I see nothing on the Okna site about a warranty. This company seems to be highly thought of here but I find it a bit odd there is no warranty to be found on their web site. Can someone show me where it is? Every other window I have looked at has a warranty to be looked at on their site. Granted most of them have so much fine print that most likely the warranty is crap anyway. But still would be nice to see what the Okna warranty is in writing before I decide whether to plunk down $ for windows. I don't know maybe I'm asking too much....

Calling them now...Also have questions on do they use virgin vinyl. I see nothing about this on their web site. Don't want my windows looking some off white color after a few years.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Okna warranty?

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Here you go. I had to split it in two to get it readable and still stay within file size limits.
Attachments
Okna2.tiff
(209.53 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times
Okna1.tiff
(245.55 KiB) Downloaded 864 times

grendels_arm

#3 Post by grendels_arm »

Thanks. That's what I thought.

This is what I can gather.

1. No labor coverage.
2. No glass breakage coverage for ANY reason.
3. Only insulating glass defects and the window hardware are transferable (frame and sash aren't)
4. Condensation is to be expected. Fading and chalking of vinyl is to be expected.
5. If your frame and sash are bronze in color then they don't have a warranty at all.
6. You must notify dealer/distributor within 30 days of the defect appearing. (not since you noticed it) Should I inspect my Okna windows every 30 days just in case it took me 3 months to notice something but it's been a problem for 3 months?

Pretty surprising the warranty on Okna windows is worse than any window warranty I've seen out there. Granted I have only seen 4 other windows manufacturers. I don't get why they don't put a good warranty behind their windows.

buddy110

#4 Post by buddy110 »

Pretty standard language really

jayal11

#5 Post by jayal11 »

i am a long time okna dealer and i can assure you that the that the entire window is guaranteed lifetime, and all parts, including frame, are fully transferable. Different Okna dealers have different extensions on the warranty. For example, my company has lifetime on glass breakage and our labor is guaranteed by them. Notifying the company within 30 days of seeing the defect means nothing. Any decent dealer in god standing with the manufacturer will be able to get any parts for any amount of time, usually at no charge. The colored exterior is guaranteed for 10 years and will soon be 15. However because not every dealer is awarded this, we have an official addendum stating this. Their warranty is actually is one of the best out there, and I say this while selling every brand our there...The are simply the best and you cant go wrong.

I would be honored to assist you further in your search...Happy windowing!

sgilliatt

#6 Post by sgilliatt »

I know this is an old issue, but I also find it strange that they don't post their warranty online. I know I've been told by the dealer that it's lifetime and he will show it to me, but still would be nice to be able to refer to it on their site.

The tiff file didn't work for me, so I wasn't able to read the warranty. Is there anything in there that may void the warranty if a non Okna dealer install the windows?

I have two dealers that carry the Okna 500 with deluxe glazing (DP w/ u-value of 0.25), dealer A with a per window cost of $609 installed and dealer B with a per window cost $475 installed (just a verbal quote for now, but I'll get a solid quote in the next week or two). However, I have a contractor that doesn't deal with Okna that I'd really like to use (reasonably priced, past positive experiences for both myself and my father in-law, and other future work) if I can buy the windows from dealer B, which I think they do.

As usual, any info is greatly appreciated.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

sgilliatt,

You can access the file electronically and Okna (or I) can email you the file.

It is ideal to have the product installed by a certified Okna contractor for ease of processing any warranty claims.

That being said, should you choose to use your own contractor, the warranty is still valid provided that the windows are installed properly and to specifications.

sgilliatt

#8 Post by sgilliatt »

Proving it was installed properly and to specs is the tricky part I assume. I'll probably stick to the dealer for that reason.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes and no.

Your best bet is probably via dealer. It is what they do on a daily basis and are probably more apt at doing well.

Okna is not the type of company to drag someone over the coals and most applications where you hear about a company trying to invalidate a warranty are because the product stinks. That certainly isn't the case here.

All of that being said, Okna does not authorize any of the dealers to distribute via retail either as a general rule.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. You won't have trouble getting parts covered, but anytime that there is more than one party involved, there is an opportunity for finger pointing. Most issues are pretty easily discernible between product and installation, but on occasion there is a tough situation that is hard to figure out. Those are the times when it is much better to have one installation company that is taking care of both the product and the installation warranties.
RE: the Okna warranty overall, it is very solid and certainly on par with the top offerings out there. I have never had a claim denied, and I can't say the same for other manufacturers. The warranty is easily accessible through your dealer.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

Choosing an authorized okna dealer will save you plenty of headaches. The dealer is backed by okna for warranty issues plus the dealer warranties his labor; no finger pointing.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most HiMark/Okna dealers are such because they want to sell and back a high performance product. Along with that typically comes a mind set of higher quality installs and service.
You have a 200% project: You need 100% the right product and 100% the right install.
Are there capable installers that are not dealers yes, but why aren't they dealers?
My vote would be for someone who is familiar with the product on a daily basis.

theWindowNerd...

Pinex

#13 Post by Pinex »

You bring up a valid point, the installer should be a dealer or there could be voids in the warranty. My contractor is an authorized Okna dealer. This way only one company ( my dealer) handles everything and because he is an authorized dealer, there is no finger pointing.