Empire Pacific vs Plygem ... any thoughts?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
NickPDX

Empire Pacific vs Plygem ... any thoughts?

#1 Post by NickPDX »

My wife and I am looking into putting new Windows in my house. We have had two bids placed on vinyl replacements and the difference is about $600. The higher of the two bids was for Ply Gem windows and the lower would be Empire Pacific. I have searched the forums for information on both brands but it has been hard to come by. Beyond the basic insulating factors I have two dogs that scratch at the windows all the time and I am worried about the durability. Don't want them looking all scratched up and abused thanks to my pups. I would appreciate any information anybody has on these two brands of windows. I had never heard of either before I got the bids so I am in the dark.

The person who gave the bid on the Ply Gem windows did bring a sample and showed the heat reflection with a heat lamp amongst other things. We did like what we saw.

Thanks for any info!

NickPDX

Re: Empire Pacific vs Plygem ... any thoughts?

#2 Post by NickPDX »

Was just talking to a friend who is a contractor and he was saying that both of these brands are lower end windows. So I guess that answers my question, but I am curious about other peoples opinions. Thanks.

utoo

#3 Post by utoo »

Your contractor is giving you correct advice. PlyGem is the new owner of Certainteed in Washington and Empire here in Oregon just changed ownership. No window is going to meet your dog requirements. There are plenty of other windows to look at. The heat lamp is a sure sign of a commission driven direct sales organization. Keep looking.

NickPDX

#4 Post by NickPDX »

Thanks! You seem to have some knowledge about the window replacement market here in Oregon. This whole process is getting a bit overwhelming. Everybody has a different opinion about what is "best" for me and I can't seem to differeciate between them all. I just keep googling for reviews and seeing what other people have experienced. The newest brands that were suggested were VPI, Atium and Great Lakes. When I search about Atrium reviews there are a lot of bad ones (they are from like 2003-2006 though).

Jeld -wen and Millgard are other brands that I am hearing a lot and they are local companies from what I understand.

Any more thoughts? What windows do you consider to be in the upper end in the Oregon/NW region. Thanks again!

utoo

#5 Post by utoo »

Both Simonton or Milgard will serve you well. We are longtime Milgard dealers because all service is direct from the factory and not the dealer. Lifetime warranty includes glass breakage and screen repairs and is transferable to new owners. These features help make the majority of our sales coming from referrals and addons. Use the manufacturers dealer locater feature and work with dealers that maintain a well established showroom and install facilities that you can actually visit to sign the purchase order. If you want more involvement with your window purchase visit the manufacturers plant. (Milgard is in Tualatin)