Step Sill Vs. Slopped Sill

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
phils

Step Sill Vs. Slopped Sill

#1 Post by phils »

What is the difference between a step sill (Simonton 5100) & a sloped sill (Gorell) other than how the window looks outside? Is one better then the other?

Skydawggy

Re: Step Sill Vs. Slopped Sill

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

The stepped sill is available on the Simonton Reflections 5300 and 5500. Yes, it is better than a sloped sill.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Stepped sills provide no benefit over a sloped sill; no improvement in water infiltration, and no improvement in air infiltration. Simonton is (as far as I know) the only manufacturer that offers a stepped sill, and their air leakage rate is very average.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

Timeline has a better DP rating on the stepped sill verses the sloped sill. Centex, one of the largest builders in the US uses the Timeline stepped sill. In our environment we have found the sloped sill to be benefical over the stepped sill or pocket sill due mainly to mold growth.

In my opinion I do not want a leaky window with weep holes. I want a tight window that eliminates water on top of the sill, not through the frame.

Randy, let me know if I am confusing a stepped sill as Simonton is about 1% of my market and I am unfamilar with there product line as there use here is lower end new construction. I know there performance ratings from research and they are an inferior product to many of the products we utilize.

:mrgreen:

TLHWINDOW

#5 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Slopped sill is a better at shedding water, who wants water to stand on thier sill? We use the PGT SpectraGuard. Sloped sill and very tight air infiltration numbers.