Installation Dilemma!!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
phils

Installation Dilemma!!

#1 Post by phils »

I have 10-year-old New Construction windows with a sheetrock return. The window depth (inside of the window to the outside of the window) is shorter then replacement window depth. What is the best way to install new windows?

1. Size window to fit over sheetrock return & put in interior stops or

2. Remove siding, use nail fin & cut sheetrock return shorter & re-caulk

Windows Dun-Rite

Re: Installation Dilemma!!

#2 Post by Windows Dun-Rite »

In-set them as I believe your #1 indicated. If your opening is square you can measure them close (Sheetrock ID less 1/8" or 3/16" and you don't need stop just caulk them. Order some jamb extender for the exterior if needed. Interior too if necessary. Assuming there is an accessary grove. This works for vinyl and aluminum retro-fit windows. Not sure what window you are using. I just read your post again and I am not sure what you mean when you say new construction windows with sheetrock return. Are you talking about windows or window openings. It seems obvious that you are talking about openings but the "10 year old new construction" was a little confusing.

phils

#3 Post by phils »

The home is a Vinyl sidded home & the orginal windows have a nail fin. The sheetrock meets the inside of the window. I am Probably not explaining this very well because I am not a person involved in construction. I hope this clears up how my orginal windows are installed and some insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

phils

#4 Post by phils »

I was hoping some of the pros on the board could help me with this question. Windows are a lot of money and I have seen many posts about how important the instalation is. I hope someone is able to give me some guidence

randy

#5 Post by randy »

The very best way, if it is affordable to you, is to remove the siding and use a nailing fin on the new windows. If that is not an option, for whatever reason, have the sheetrock and sill cut back to accommodate the new window. Installing new windows inside the sheetrock requires the use of extra trim around the perimeter which causes you to lose more viewing area, and can be more difficult to seal properly.

If I was smart enough to figure out how to post pictures here, I would put one up for you.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The sheetrock can be cut back slightly to accommodate the added thickness of the replacement window and have the 1/4 round stop installed to complete the installation without removing the siding. This will give you maximum window width and height without requiring removal of the siding.

Windows Dun-Rite

#7 Post by Windows Dun-Rite »

The reply WOW gave will work well also. If your cut backs are good and straight you might get by with just caulking and not the 1/4 round but you have to be the judge. Other factors also apply.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

On vinyl siding make sure the top of the window is protected by either a nail fin properly taped and covered by tyvek or by a Z-shaped drip cap installed with the part of the drip cap that is under siding tucked up under the tyvek paper. Vinyl siding can get wet underneath so this is important to do.

Windows Dun-Rite

#9 Post by Windows Dun-Rite »

I agree. W4U

windowmike

#10 Post by windowmike »

Remove the vinyl siding remove existing nail fin window. Determine proper d-wall cut back. Use self adhered flashing under sill with corner pockets. Install new finned window with back-caulk on nail fin. Cover jambs fin with flashing then head with top flashing under tyvek. Anything less is bogus. Installationmaster installer is best bet here.

phils

#11 Post by phils »

What is a Installationmaster installer? & how would I find one in my area?

Windows Dun-Rite

#12 Post by Windows Dun-Rite »

Where is your area?

phils

#13 Post by phils »

Greenville SC area

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#14 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If you are doing them yourselves then I would recommend the fin method. Finishing off the exterior of insert windows is better left to professionals who have tools such as metal brakes to wrap the window or bend drip caps.

TLHWINDOW

#15 Post by TLHWINDOW »

For the exterior you can use a product called RWD (rwdextender.com I believe). We typically use it for the interior, but can be used on the exterior if you follow the instructions.

This allows the use of smaller windows and then trimming the windows outside to your current trim.