Cost to replace rot on frame/sills?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kpmnc24

Cost to replace rot on frame/sills?

#1 Post by kpmnc24 »

I am replacing 25 windows and around 18-20 have wood rot on the frame/sills that needs to be fixed along with putting in the new windows. Should this repair drive up the cost for the windows?

Right now the bid I like best is Gorell 5155 for $16500 which I know is high , they say $2000 of the cost is to fix all the wood rot. They also said they will talk about giving me a better deal. I am in NC if that matters. Can I get them to drop the $2000 which would give me a price of $580 per window.

WindowInfo

Re: Cost to replace rot on frame/sills?

#2 Post by WindowInfo »

What type of windows are they? Double Hungs,Sliders,Casements?

What are your windows now? Wood,Aluminum,Steel?

What options are you getting with the Gorell window, Double Pane,Triple Pane,Woodgrain,Grids,Color of window?

How much is rotted that there replacing? Just the sill or the whole frame?

Are they replacing the interior molding? and if they are who is staining or painting it?

kpmnc24

#3 Post by kpmnc24 »

The windows now are wood and 15 years old.

The new windows are double hung, double pane , low E with Argon gas and have grids in them. They are white and they qualify for the tax credit.

Some windows just have the sill rotted , others have more of the frame rotted such as the top and sides along with the sills. No problems on the inside that need replacement or repair.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

I don't know how much rotted wood you have but $8 to $10 per linear foot isn't out of line. Other than that nobody is going to be able to tell you without seeing the job.

If you trust the contractor that little, why are you considering using him?

kpmnc24

#5 Post by kpmnc24 »

Not sure what you mean about not trusting them - because I questioned the $2000 for wood repair?

The other bids I have are for a similar cost - but they did not list a $2000 cost for repair - they just gave me 1 overall price which they told me includes repair of all the rotted wood. Not sure why this one place listed the repairs as a separate charge.

My guess is I have a lot more wood rot than most people but maybe I am wrong on that. Someone told me (not a window company) the wood rot is caused by gutters getting full with leaves and overflowing so I will fix the gutters soon after putting in the new windows.

shamu

#6 Post by shamu »

You are certainly entitled to ask if they can lower the price, but roughly $100 to remove and replace the rotten sills and other wood is not an outrageous amount. I actually think that itemizing the wood replacement is a plus and would be more concerned by an estimate that did not spell out any additional work to be done.