Need Advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Guy

#16 Post by Guy »

Handyman we aren't dropping the gauntlet to slap you in the face. We are offering information that is very important to the future of our industry. For a nation with a small population (6% of the world), the United States uses an enormous amount of energy, about a third of the energy produced each year. America's energy use is compared to every American citizen having 300 laborers working 24 hours a day for him alone. Such a situation cannot continue to exist. There are many alternatives, but not all are attractive. To give ourselves the best chance at maintaining a comfortable standard of living without monopolizing the world's resources, (like New York's black out a few years ago. I'll blame FeneX for that one) we must develop awareness and habits of energy conservation. The biggest energy consumer in the home is the HVAC system. Conservation measures that affect this factor can make a marked difference in the energy consumption and comfort level of buildings. The owner of an older home or building can save as much as 50% on heating bills by adding insulation and preventing excessive air infiltration. Although there is an initial cost, most energy conservation improvements pay for themselves in five years or less. As energy costs continue to rise,(yes Handyman even your expenses will rise) one begins to realize that heating a poorly insulated house is like burning money. A Home Energy Audit and the implementation of the auditor's recommendations will enable the average home-owner to save up to 40% on the home energy bill.

Handyman, please keep an open mind to this as being just a starting place for the customer. The older homes are a bigger target as it can be a life threatening change for windows. It's happened numerous times when people have changed out their windows solving one issue and causing another. The cold weather starts it's nasty slide South and on go the furnaces. Now let's take that older home that may have had a new furnace installed a few years ago. When the new furnace had it's combustion calibrated for the proper flame burn. This is also where they set the proper draft of burnt off Carbon Monoxide to flow up the stack and out. It was based off a home with old leaking windows & doors which had a substantial air infiltration.

Now you take those old doors & windows out and put in one of todays high tech windows (even WW's will work fine here, I'm serious, not bashing WW). You've now altered the air flow the home uses on a daily basis. Now the homeowner is happy and using the bathroom for a shower and kicks the old exhaust fan to remove the steam vapor. They keep the fan running while they do their hair and forget to shut it off before going to bed. Around three in the morning they are awakened by their CO detectors going ballistic!!! After a huge panic and a local call to 911. The local FD is sent out with all the bells and whistles. They test the air and find that one exhaust fan was all that was needed to pull the draft of the furnace back into the house instead of up the stack.

Now in closing this final argument on what is right and what is a bunch of HOOOOOOOEEEEEYYY as you put it. I only have one question for you.

Could you ever sleep again at night if your customers died in their sleep from this unfortunate change in their home, when you knew it might happen??????

Excuse me but it scares the S$@T out of me!!!!!!

We aren't trying to rip anyone off. You as an installer need to keep an open mind and make changes when needed. I've been in this industry since 1974. I've made many changes and will always try to be on the cutting edge. It's a starting place for every customer. They don't have to do it all at the same time. They can work on the project starting in the worst areas. This audit will break it all down and give them a place to start. Windowrep I'm one that is gearing up to make that change in my business. We all should!!!! I REST!!!

HipKat

#17 Post by HipKat »

We are at my comany too.

Windowman1

Low-e windows are old technology

#18 Post by Windowman1 »

There are windows out there that are very cheap and some that are very expensive. You need to find a window that can save you on fuel so the project becomes an investment and not a cost. Low-e windows can save you up to 15% off on your fuel costs. That doesn't even cover the increases you will see in fuel every year. Even if you pay $300 a piece for a low-e window it will take over 10 years in most caes to repay yourself. Triple pane is another option you can go with. Triple pane is heavy and the costs are very high for a good triple pane window. Companies that are now coming out with triple pane are 20 years or more behind the curve. Look at a window with a high r-vaule and a low u-vaule. Try Heat Mirror windows. They have the highest r-vaule and the lowest u-vaules. Thay also block 99.5% of damagaing UV rays. Its a film suspended between the glass. Less weight and more fuel savings. Therefore the windows pay for themselves in less then 7 years in most cases. Just because a window is better then what you have in your home now, is not a reason to purchase them. I hear people buying windows on the lowest price and all they are doing is short changing themselves. Heat Mirror guarantees 50% fuel savings.

FenEx

#19 Post by FenEx »

Windowrep- I am glad to hear that you looked into it. I am not sure how many contractors are involved at this point but I know that there are over 4500 raters through BPI and Resnet.

Handyman

Your hesitancy to embrace what you do not understand will be shared my many. This is the largest hurdle that will be addressed as I mentioned earlier. Your comments about it being a sales pitch or a way to drum up more business are easily put to rest. The audits are very inexpensive and I can assure you that does not provide for a profit margin, it's a professional public service. Several states offset the cost and the fee is deducted from the work done. The organizations that are implementing the programs are all non-profit and are partially financed by the utility companies. The individual raters and accredited companies involved make considerable investments of time and money for the education. These costs are also offset in many states. Many of the issues discovered by the analysis can be corrected by homeowners at minimal cost or in phases by any contractor they choose.

As it appears you are trying to take the "protect the consumer" approach here, how are you doing so by not offering your clients current and factual information about their home and advances in the industry? Is that protecting them or is it saving you the trouble of changing your business model? The beautiful part of these changes in the industry is that everyone wins. Contractors can feel great about the services that they can provide through their continuing education. Will it help them build a better business...Yes. Homeowners will be able to scientifically address and safely solve the problems in their homes without relying on sales pitches and guesstimates of energy savings. The reason why most government agencies are behind this as well as increasing numbers of utility providers is because it works everytime, and the benefits to our country are enormous.

Part of the initial goal of the recently passed energy bill is to help American households save 10 percent or more on home energy bills over the next 10 years. This small first step will be greatly surpassed as many will address the other issues discovered in the home often leading to 40-60% energy reductions. What would even the 10% reduction mean? A savings of over $20 billion a year (at 2004 prices), reduction of natural gas demand by more than 1 quad annually, avoiding the need for more than 40 (600 MW) power plants, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 25 MILLION vehicles! With all forms of energy increasing by 30-60% this year alone... I'm thinkin' it worth the extra effort on my part to help by educating myself and others. Don't knock it till you try it... it feels pretty good to be a part of it. Don't be so stubborn... you may be suprised what you learn... atleast look into it.

Fenex

Late addition: Windowman1- Just to point out a few things. The lowest U-factors on the NFRC are held by triple-panes, not Heat Mirror. Heat Mirror also uses metal spacers and the film has a tendancy to distort with extreme temperature changes. As for the 50% fuel reduction... it ain't happening with any window. Please post the 50% guaranty. I am sure it's like others where it is based on 1st year savings only and of heating/cooling portion of energy "consumption" not cost and capped at a maximum liability payout of $500 with many contingencies.