Gorell 5300 versus Simonton 5500 versus Alside Ultramax

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
davebuff

Gorell 5300 versus Simonton 5500 versus Alside Ultramax

#1 Post by davebuff »

First of all, thanks to the people that set up and maintain this discussion board.

As a consumer, this is a great place to learn about a product that can be a mystery without unbiased information.

Here is my question:

I am replacing 37 builders grade aluminum windows in my Cincinnati home.

Here are my final three options I am considering:

Alside Ultramax - $16,400 (I know from reading many posts, that Alside is not well thought of, but I include this as a reference. I am NOT going to buy these windows.)

Simonton 5500 - $15,900

Gorell 5300 - $20,000

I like both the Simonton and the Gorell. I am willing to spend the extra money to ensure I have a quality product that will last for the next 20 years I plan to live in this home and will help me sell it when the time comes. I understand the importance of the installation, and have confidence in the two companies that have bid the windows I am considering.

My question for the experts, is it worth the extra money to get into the Gorell 5300 window?

Windows on Washington

Re: Gorell 5300 versus Simonton 5500 versus Alside Ultramax

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both are solid windows but I am not sure the Gorell is worth the extra money.

buddy110

#3 Post by buddy110 »

I'd have to go with the Gorell. Are they they both double pane?

Windowgod

#4 Post by Windowgod »

Simonton. Just make sure you are getting the same R or U value on the glass package when comparing the costs. Check the NFRC web site for the tested results.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

Simonton. The Gorell is a nice window but it isn't worth $4100 more IMO.

TLHWINDOWS

#6 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

hmmm interesting. What glass package are you getting with the Gorell? I think that is what would push the decision.

Gorell in my opinion is better, but typically I could price a Simonton and Gorell on the same price lane depending on the options.

buddy110

#7 Post by buddy110 »

Skydawggy wrote:Simonton. The Gorell is a nice window but it isn't worth $4100 more IMO.
Maybe if they were comparing the 9800 to the gorell but not the 5500 IMO

davebuff

#8 Post by davebuff »

I am comparing the Simonton 5500 to the Gorell 5300.

The Gorell glass package is A/C Master low-E coating, argon, double pane.

The Simonton 5500 have the standard glass package, so low-e, argon, Intercept spacer, double pane.

buddy110

#9 Post by buddy110 »

I wasn't directing my comment towards you

davebuff

#10 Post by davebuff »

buddy110 wrote:I wasn't directing my comment towards you
Sorry, my response was directed to TLHWINDOWS.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Who's on second? :lol:

davebuff

#12 Post by davebuff »

So, does anyone have any additional thoughts based on the glass packages on the two windows?

I am thinking perhaps I should be getting something better than the standard glass package on the Gorell for the price I am paying.

Perhaps the Eco Master or the Armor Plus glass package?

On the Simonton, perhaps I should be getting the 1" I.G. with superspacer for the price I have been quoted?

Noise reduction is also very important to me on one side of my house that faces the street.

Is there a significant noise reduction gained by going triple pane? adding Krypton? getting laminated glass?

Is there one of those options that gives me the most "bang for the buck" in reducing noise?

buddy110

#13 Post by buddy110 »

davebuff wrote:So, does anyone have any additional thoughts based on the glass packages on the two windows?

I am thinking perhaps I should be getting something better than the standard glass package on the Gorell for the price I am paying.

On the Simonton, perhaps I should be getting the 1" I.G. with superspacer for the price I have been quoted?

Noise reduction is also very important to me on one side of my house that faces the street.

Is there a significant noise reduction gained by going triple pane? adding Krypton? getting laminated glass?

Is there one of those options that gives me the most "bang for the buck" in reducing noise?

Eco master is not available in the 5300
Sound reduction is achieved by using different glass thicknesses in the IGU. Therefore Armor glass would be your best bet for reducing sound transmission. I don't know if Simonton offers something similar to this.

I have to tell you. $540.00 per for the Gorell 5300 would be a steal here in NY. That's a very good window for that price.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy110 wrote:
davebuff wrote:So, does anyone have any additional thoughts based on the glass packages on the two windows?

Eco master is not available in the 5300
Sound reduction is achieved by using different glass thicknesses in the IGU. Therefore Armor glass would be your best bet for reducing sound transmission. I don't know if Simonton offers something similar to this.

I have to tell you. $540.00 per for the Gorell 5300 would be a steal here in NY. That's a very good window for that price.
+1

Your pricing is very aggressive.

If you want Sound Control, you would specify for laminated glass in the Simonton window for a comparable glass package.

fenestrationman

#15 Post by fenestrationman »

Gorell has recently made ECO Master available for all models with the exception of their basement hopper.