Simonton 5500 Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Phantom

Simonton 5500 Help

#1 Post by Phantom »

Hello forum members:

I've been reading posts awhile since I'm about to pull the plug and buy some replacement vinyl windows (14 DH). I live in the Atlanta, Ga. area and the current windows are wood. They're just dual pane clear glass that was put in when the house was built in 1997. I've been reading the posts and now want to ask about specific configurations I'm considering.

I've been quoted prices from Champion, Clear Choice, Window World and a local contractor. I feel most comfortable with the local guy, he's been around 20 years and I feel very comfortable with him. But no choices made yet. The local guy sells Allside and Simonton. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on the Ultramaxx and am leaning toward the Simonton Reflections 5500 with one of the two following options. I'd appreciate any opinions/recommendations about the options I'm looking at. I think the Untramaxx is a slightly better LOOKING window and the 5500 is sort of boxy looking but I think the 5500 will give me great service.

Am I correct in thinking that the 2 surfaces of low E will better keep heat inside during the winter and keep it outside in the summer?

Simonton Reflections 5500 - Without Grids
Super Spacer Glass Package
1" Insulating Glass Unit
Super Spacer
Argon Gas Fill
ProSolar Soft Coat Low E Glass
1 Surface of Low E Glass

Simonton Reflections 5500 - Without Grids
Solar System AR Glass Package
1" Insulating Glass Unit
Super Spacer
Argon Gas Fill
ProSolar Soft Coat Low E Glass
2 Surfaces of Low E Glass

Thanks very much for any help offered.
Last edited by Phantom on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skydawggy

Re: Simonton 5500 Help

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Where do you live?

Phantom

#3 Post by Phantom »

I live in the Atlanta, Ga. area.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd go with the Solar System AR glass. That gives you minimal Solar Heat Gain. Atlanta is very hot in the summer and has relatively mild winters.

Phantom

#5 Post by Phantom »

Thanks Skydawggy, I appreciate the response. I hope to have some quotes tomorrow for these options. I have no idea what kind of costs I'm looking at yet.

One other item I'm having issues with is how to relate the Simonton Reflections 5500 window to get the CDP#'s on the NFRC site. How do I relate the specific Simonton 5500 window with the Super Spacer Glass package to the available numbers as noted below from the NFRC site?

It this something everyone but me knows? What is the serial/model number or the Product line number (SBP-A-XX?) for the above specific window?

Once I know the Series/Model or the Product line ID then I have to select a specific CPD# from thousands of selections. How do you folks figure which one is the correct one?

Series/Model Number Product Line

Simonton Building Products, Inc. - Simonton Windows 43-17 DH SBP-A-38

Simonton Building Products, Inc. - Simonton Windows 07-09 DH/07-75 DH/75-09 DH/75-75 DH SBP-A-44

Simonton Building Products, Inc. - Simonton Windows 43-40 DH SBP-A-47

Simonton Building Products, Inc. - Simonton Windows 325-325 DH SBP-A-55

Simonton Building Products, Inc. - Simonton Windows 43-45 DH SBP-A-79

Simonton Building Products, Inc. - Simonton Windows 07-20 DH SBP-A-85

Simonton Building Products, Inc. - Simonton Windows 07-10 DH SBP-A-94

Simonton Building Products, Inc. - Simonton Windows 42-19 DH SBP-A-99
Last edited by Phantom on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

I think adding Super Spacer w/ Low-e 366 to the 5500 will give you a bit more bang for the buck. Solar heat gain is a little lower than the Solar Sytem AR and it is about $5.00 less in cost. See the numbers below. Low-e 366 is perfect for Hotlanta

36" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; 1'' IGU Thickness; Solar System Glass Package AR; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Sill Extender; Glass Warranty (UI=86"); DP:25; Test Number=91634.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.25; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

36" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; 1'' IGU Thickness; Super Spacer; Low E 366; Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Sill Extender; Glass Warranty (UI=86"); DP:25; Test Number=91634.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.20; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

Phantom

#7 Post by Phantom »

Hi Bill:

Please see my edited post above about how to find a specfic window on the NFRC site.

Though I don't have the final quotes yet, it appears that the Solar System AR package adds about $273 a window and the Super Spacer adds only about $30. I'm on a pretty tight budget and will probably have to go with the Super Space option. I just wonder if the gain in the SHGC warrants that kind of price increase.

The below is the info for just the super spacer package.

32" (O) X 61" (O) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Rough Opening Size; BOX; 1'' IGU Thickness; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon
Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Full Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock;
Sill Extender; Glass Warranty (UI=93"); DP:25; Test Number=91634.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.26; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern,
North Central, South Central, Southern

Thanks very much for your input.

Bill

#8 Post by Bill »

You may have been quoted the Solar System Glass Package w/ Krypton for that kind of up charge that’s why Sky recommended the Solar System AR (argon gas) because Krypton is not worth it.

Again I recommend Super Spacer w/ Low-e 366 that may cost about another $70.00 over the base price window. I see you have Super Spacer in your window already so you are ½ way there.

I have all the thermal data from Simonton in my order entry system so I never make my head spin with the NFRC site. There is nothing there that I don’t have at my finger tips.

I have posted the thermal values for both Solar AR and low-e 366 w/ super spacer above so why bother with the NFRC site.

Phantom

#9 Post by Phantom »

Ok, you've got me interested in the Low E3 366 glass but I also remain interested in the ProSolar Soft Coat Low E Glass with 2 Surfaces of Low E Glass also.

Do you have the Visible Light Trasmissible (VT?) values for the Solar System AR (argon gas) with the 2 surfaces of Low E Glass and the Super Spacer w/ Low-e 366 glass? I'm trying to determine which glass package is darker than the other. We wouldn't like real dark windows.

If I can upgrade to the 9800 with similar glass packages for not too much more, would that give me a better window I'm not sure about all the differences. I understand the 9800 has better weatherstripping and may be more aesthetically pleasing. It appears the 5500 has more options as relates to glass packages. Opinons?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks.

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

I don't know about the pricing you are getting in Atlanta but, we sell an upgrade to Super Spacer, argon, 366 glas and 1" IGU for about $30. more than 3/4 Intercept, Pro Solar and argon. I would definitely recommend the 366 glass regardless of whether you go with Super Spacer and a 1" IGU or not. No way should the Solar Systen AR cost $273.

Phantom

#11 Post by Phantom »

Thanks, Skydawggy:

I got that that number online. My contractor has given me the following prices so I have something real to go by now.

Quote 1: (5500 Series) 14 DH windows with the ETC Starter 366 glass package for about 5790. (Includes 2 more (16 DH total) basic windows for the garage.)

Quote 2: (5500 Series) 14 DH windows with the Super Spacer glass package for about 5902. (Includes 2 more (16 DH total) basic windows for the garage.)

Quote 3: (9800 Series) 14 DH windows with the Solar System AR Glass package for about 6360. (Includes 2 more (16 DH total) basic windows for the garage.)

All quotes include tax, installation and outside capping. Prices seem very reasonable to me considering the other quotes that I've received from the national companies.

But I am concerned about how dark the 366 and the Solar System AR glass packages are. We wouldn't like real dark windows. Please advise on this aspect.

Thanks.

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

See if he can provide you with an actual sample of the 366 glass. Then open your front door or a window, place the sample in the opening and see how dark it looks from inside your house looking out. I've always thought the glass doesn't look as dark this way compared to just looking at it in the kitchen. You may decide it is too dark for your tastes and the Pro-Solar suits you better. There are always trade-offs when it comes to windows. You will need to decide which is more important to you.

Bill

#13 Post by Bill »

The 9800 has all the same glass packages as the 5500.

In the 9800 Sensor 366 would be my choice ( 1” double strength Super Spacer Low-e 366)

The Sensor 366 is $10.00 per a window list less than the Solar System AR

The Solar System glass packages were designed for southern climates to reduce solar heat gain. The low-e 366 glass packages are newer and do a better job. Neither one is ridiculously dark, I think it will beneficial on the hot days.

Phantom

#14 Post by Phantom »

I asked my contractor if he could get a sample of the two glasses in question, Low E 366 and the AR (soft coat on both interior panes). The 366 glass really drops the SHGC.

Thanks folks.

Phantom

#15 Post by Phantom »

Bill wrote:The 9800 has all the same glass packages as the 5500.

In the 9800 Sensor 366 would be my choice ( 1” double strength Super Spacer Low-e 366)

The Sensor 366 is $10.00 per a window list less than the Solar System AR

The Solar System glass packages were designed for southern climates to reduce solar heat gain. The low-e 366 glass packages are newer and do a better job. Neither one is ridiculously dark, I think it will beneficial on the hot days.
My contractor was able to bring over samples of the Low E 366 and the Solar System glass today. I think the Solar glass is slightly darker than the 366 glass. I don't think either of them is very dark at all.

I added the Sensor glass 366 and full screens for all windows.

32" (O) X 61" (O) 9800 Impressions White Double Hung; Rough Opening Size; BOX; 1'' IGU
Thickness; Sensor Glass - 366; Super Spacer; Low E 366; Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double
Strength (1/8"); Full Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air
Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Regular Lift Handles; Sill Extender; Balance Covers;
Glass Warranty (UI=94"); DP:25; Test Number=91631.01;U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.20;
Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

window sizes are roughly,
32X61 - 11 windows
24X61 - 2 "
28X61 - 2 "
24X53 - 1 "

So I have a finalized a cost of $7216 for 16DH windows with full screens, the above window configuration, installation and outside capping. The owner of the company does all the installs (his brother-in-law helps as needed).

I think this is the package I want to go with. It's appears to be loaded with quality and is about as high a price as I want to go. How does this deal sound?

I really appreciate the suggestions/help given to me by Bill and Skydawggy.

Thanks.