Schuco Corona - Lastest Quote - New England Sash

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fool

Schuco Corona - Lastest Quote - New England Sash

#1 Post by fool »

Very impressed with the Schuco Corona window - unfortunately the quote for 23 holes was $26,890 ($1169 for each).

After a 2 hour and 23 minute presentation, I had to go look in the mirror to see if I had something on my forehead.

It is also unfortutunate NES is the only distributor in New England. Schuco should have a few dealers/installers to maintain quality and price gouging.

Any suggestions on other quality vinyl windows to consider would be appreciated.

u-value

#2 Post by u-value »

Fool...

I just went though the Schuco Corona 4000 (w/ triple pane/krypton) presentation this weekend and was extremely impressed. I have been researching this for a few weeks and have looked at several different windows. By far, the Schuco is the best Ive looked at and the window sold itself to my wife and I - not to mention all the great things Ive read about it on this forum and others online.

I am under contract for the Schucos, but we only signed because they were only offering their bid of 800/opening on the spot only - still have three days to cancel. The guy also said they have an October promotion to get us the triple/kry glasspack for the price of the double pane. Also - they said that Schuco is subsidizing our project as we agreed to be a demo home for them (35% discount). I think these were both lines by the dealer just to make me feel like Im getting a "smoking" deal (as he put it). Compared to your bid I guess I am!

As far as other windows - We looked at the Preservation line and this compares well with the Schuco - but our bid was about 1000/opening for those.

I am also looking at the Alside Sheffield, triple pane with dual Solarban 60 or just a dual glaze with the SSTspacer upgrade - this is 1/2 the price of the Schuco, but not quite near the ratings, reviews, etc. But - I think its great value for my dollars and Im sure we will be happy with it - plus there is an Alside distibution about 10 miles from my house in case of any problems.

Ive read of other comparable windows to the schuco, but have not been through their presentations (Gorell, Simonton, etc...)

If the Schuco has problems Im not convinced they would be resolved as easily? I am definitely not sold on the local schuco dealer at least, but definitely sold on their window. I still might go through with my contract as I think they blow away all the other "top of the line" windows Ive looked at so far...and even if I pay another grand for them - I think they will hold up better and bring me better value over time? Im still torn on this decision though...

WindDoze

#3 Post by WindDoze »

Don't indict the entire Schuco dealer group based on the actions / sales techniques of one or two individual dealers. There are companies out there who are trying to do it the right way.

U Value -- The price you are considering is definately a fair price for the number of windows you have -- white with triple pane. Not a "smoking deal", but a fair price. My guess is that if you cancel -- or threaten to you might be able to leverage a few hundred dollars more. (I'd also say the sales tactics your rep used definately leaves a lot to be desired.)

Fool -- I don't know if you have DH, casements or inline sliders. I also don't know if you have woodgrain included on your quote -- so its difficult to comment without knowing more specifics. If you have 23 inline sliders and want woodgrain interior its entirely possible that your job could approach that $26K number. (Schuco is very proud of that in line slider --but then again to compare it to anyone else's slider window isn't a fair comparison. It is by far the best sliding type window out there.)

fool

#4 Post by fool »

1 LC
1 LS (this would replace 2 side-by-side DH)
19 DH

No woodgrain was even discussed. Corona Triple Pane.

Nobody indicted anyone other than New England Sash and that there is a monopoly in the New England area only Schuco can resolve by adding dealers/installers to compete in price/quality/service.

In the meantime they will lose potential business.

*The word "promotion" wasn't even mentioned.

WindDoze

#5 Post by WindDoze »

Agreed...$26K is definately high based on the openings you mention. My advice is to get some more quotes on other "high end" triple pane windows; Simonton 9800, Alside Preservations, Sunrise Restorations, etc... You'll get a pretty good idea what the "going rate" for a high end window should be in your area.

If you still feel the Schuco is the best window after you've done your shopping you'll have a lot better bargaining leverage with NES. Make them an offer...."Based on my shopping, the best price I can justify is $X."

I'll bet they either take it, or drop significantly from your $26K quote. Just a hunch... :wink:

As for the alleged monopoly you mention; it really isn't that way. NES (and all other Schuco dealers) do have competitors and therefore they don't have monopoly pricing power. The customers just have to do their own homework as well to make sure they get the best deal possible. Very few people when they buy a new car take a look at the sticker and pay that amount....