Best VALUE in Replacement Windows - Please Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
skbass

Best VALUE in Replacement Windows - Please Help

#1 Post by skbass »

I'm in the Baltimore area and I need 11 windows replaced in my house. Why? 1) because the existing ones are crappy and 2) because I broke one, and I'd rather put the $230 that it would take to fix that glass and invest it into better quality windows that we need anyway (unless I get convinced that this doesn't make sense).

Anyway, we got a quote for what I think is an ABSURD amount last week!!! They seemed like nice windows and all, but our house isn't a $600k house, and I just can't see investing that kind of money into it.

What install company/window brands do you think offer exceptional value? We don't want the cream of the crop in windows, but we do want quality and a decent price. Double hung, double pane, middle of the road would be nice.

I'm sorry I don't have measurements handy right now. But I just won't pay $1,000 per window. We could probably stomach $300 - $500 each. Is this just unrealistic????

Thanks for any and all advice!

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

No, not unrealistic. baltimore is a more moderate climate. Chilly in the winter, pretty warm in the summer.
there are plenty of manufacturers and dealers in your area I'm sure, who would set you up with a quality window for about what your range is. You need to find a window that has good construction, is durable, a good seal/spacer system (between the panes of glass), posibly single coat lowE, just to help in the winter. Look for Solar Heat gain readings on any windows you see. I remember living in DC and July is one HOT month, and a good window with a lower solar heat gain factor will make your house more comfortable in the summer. Look at the installers, and check any references. A good window is worthless if installed incorrectly. Try to stay with someone who's been in business awhile and is reputable. And make sure thewarranty's are solid.

You may have to sit thru a few demos, that will probably sound repetitive, but each one is going to educate you more on windows and give you a clearer idea of what you really need for your home.

I wouldn't charge 1000 a window for something here, where winter and super high fuel bills are a way of life.

skbass

#3 Post by skbass »

Thanks very much for your response!

It would help if someone could refer me to a specific brand of windows, or even a dealer/installer the Baltimore area. I seem to only be finding the very high-end product that I'm not prepared to pay for.

Thanks again,
SK

jtfpie

#4 Post by jtfpie »

I live in Baltimore and had window world windows installed last week and it seems like they did a good job though time will tell. There is a lot of passion with these windows both pro and con but like you cost was a major factor and the windows were installed for around 300 each. Good luck on your search