Simonton Bronze; Simonton Platinum; Silverline 8500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
WoodsBabe

Simonton Bronze; Simonton Platinum; Silverline 8500

#1 Post by WoodsBabe »

I need to replace the windows in my entire house; 19 windows worth. I want a good window that will perform well and give me no problems for a long time to come, as well as looking nice and helping house resale. I understand that I'm looking at lower end, but we can't afford top of the line for 19 windows. FWIW, the home is near Cincinnati, OH, so it gets cold/windy in winter and hot/humid in summer.

So, I came here hoping to find reviews comparing the Silverline 8500 series and the Simonton Prism Bronze. I'll be getting a quote on Polaris next week, so let me throw that into the mix too. Energy Star Compliant across the board.

As I read through posts though, I'm seeing a lot of people saying that the Platinum is good, but not to buy the Bronze. Why? What more do you get with the Platinum? The carpenter who gave me the quote seemed to think that unless weather conditions were extreme, Bronze was just as good. Also, I like the looks of the Silverline marginally better, and (probably naively) was attracted to the Anderson name, but it looks like a lot of people feel that the quality and service on that line is very poor...?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share. As the screen name implies, I'm feeling like a babe in the woods!

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton Bronze; Simonton Platinum; Silverline 8500

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I will wait for the pros that are supremely familiar with the series specifications like Sky and Bill to chime in on this one.

The Bronze (aka 5050) is the entry window in the series for a reason. Thinner extrusions, slightly lower DP, options, etc. than its big brother Platinum (5500). By no means a bad window, however, just the entry level product.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

I would certainly be buying the platinum Bronze over the 8500. Anderson has done nothing to improve the windows at Silverline. We sell the Reflections 5050 that is the same as the Bronze and we never have issues or customer complaints. The Bronze shares the same heavy duty balance system as Simonton’s upper end windows with a sturdy interlock.

The 8500 just screams poor quality from the welds to the tilt latches and the flimsy interlock.

We do install far more of the Reflections 5500 that is the same as the Platinum. The build of the window is much better compared to the bronze, it has a nicer appearance with a sturdier frame and the air numbers are better.

If you decide on the Bronze upgrade the screen to the extruded screen frame. The window can be upgraded to qualify for the energy tax rebate and the best way to do this is by upgrading the glass spacer to Supercept as opposed to the ETC Starter Glass System that adds a second coat of low-e that makes the glass dark.

WoodsBabe

#4 Post by WoodsBabe »

Thank you for your input. I will ask about the glass.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If this is for your home, not a flip or rental do the 5500/platinium.