Lead

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jasonjam

Lead

#1 Post by jasonjam »

Wow! What a blow this is to my windows. After finding out all the info yesterday about the dangers, my wife and I are decided not to go forward. I have a 18 month old and one on the way, which in one lead experts words "a double whammy".

My house was built in 1926, all paint in excellent condition. At this point the risk far outseeds the reward in my mind.

Windows on Washington

Re: Lead

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The potential exposure risk to lead is no greater than when living in the home if the project is done properly and actually may be less.

The the sashes of a traditional wood window slide up in down the jamb tracks, they create a very fine friable material. That dust poses a more dangerous exposure hazard than a properly completed window replacement.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

I agree with WOW. I think you may be over reacting. The risks of exposure, when the windows are installed by a EPA Certified Renovator is so small that you are probably exposing your child to more lead by doing nothing. I would sit down with the contractor and have him explain the steps that are taken to ensure your saftey.

jasonjam

#4 Post by jasonjam »

Good info to know and thanks for the reply.

My contractor isn't EPA or state certified as an Lead Abatement Contractor. Nor has he heard of the April 22 deadline.

I'm still very confused on what to do. I should be excited about this, new windows, tighter house, curb appeal, lower energy ect... but I can't get over this hump.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

jasonjam wrote:Good info to know and thanks for the reply.

My contractor isn't EPA or state certified as an Lead Abatement Contractor. Nor has he heard of the April 22 deadline.

I'm still very confused on what to do. I should be excited about this, new windows, tighter house, curb appeal, lower energy ect... but I can't get over this hump.
Have your contractor get certified or use a certified. If it were up to me, I would also have the work done prior to April 22nd but according to the standards. This will save your contractor the paperwork trail.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

Jason,

Please contact an EPA Certified Renovator and have him explain the procedure to you. The techniques used for proper installation will not expose your family to lead. Do some research on this just like you are doing on windows.

jasonjam

#7 Post by jasonjam »

I've downloaded a lot of material in the past two days and even spoken to the EPA. From what I gather, as long as a hepa vac is in place, the stops are sprayed before scoring and proper wiping/cleaning is done after the work area is cleared, it should be good. Also, wearing booties from one window to another.

I feel better.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

The dust is also contained to the immediate work area to prevent it from spreading past the work envelope. Once the dust is contained, the area must be cleaned and tested before the barriers can be removed. No chance of exposure if done correctly.

jasonjam

#9 Post by jasonjam »

I just spoke to a state certified Lead Abatement Contractor. Very helpful and knowledgeable with what needs to be done.

The job would have two contractors. 1. Lead Abatement and 2. Installer.

The reason for the installer is becasue I'm putting the Soft-Lite LS in the house.

$5900 for Lead Abatement Contractor. Sound good?

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

If this is a simple window installation, you don't need an Abatement Contractor, you only need an EPA Certified Renovator. Abatement Contractors deal primarily with removal and disposal of lead. Renovators deal with containment which is all you should need. You can just use an installer who is EPA Certified. No need to have 2 different contractors.

I don't recall your specific job in terms of brand and structure so I can't comment on costs.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Have the installers do what we call an "outside install". That way your interior trim will not be disturbed and there will be much less interior cleanup.