Installing PGT windows in stucco

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
grampy

Installing PGT windows in stucco

#1 Post by grampy »

I was told that the PGT 2360 series D/H window did not come with flange only with a fin and I was wondering if it comes with a fin why it cannot be installed in a stucco opening? I think the window has a better looking corner weld finsh then others I have seen.That is the reason I would like to stay with PGT. Thanks

TLHWINDOWS

Re: Installing PGT windows in stucco

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

The 2360 does not come with a Fin or Flange, it comes only as a Box frame. You can most certianly install it in Stucco. Did one not too long ago.

PGT's other windows come with an option of a Fin or Flange, but have a concave exterior on them instead of a modified brick mould exterior like the 2360.

grampy wrote:I was told that the PGT 2360 series D/H window did not come with flange only with a fin and I was wondering if it comes with a fin why it cannot be installed in a stucco opening? I think the window has a better looking corner weld finsh then others I have seen.That is the reason I would like to stay with PGT. Thanks

grampy

#3 Post by grampy »

Just replied to the other post to you TLH. Spoke with PGT and they said the 2200 series is what I would need to order if I wanted to install in stucco.Maybe that is the series you install in your area in your last post to me. Thanks

TLHWINDOWS

#4 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I don't use the 2200, they are way more expensive. You can get the 2200 with a flange, I assume you are going into a block stucco house.

But if going into a stucco environment meant you HAD to get a window with a fin, then half the replacement windows companies sell wouldn't work.

To help you imagine, again assuming you are in a block house with stucco, we cut around the stucco on the outside to loosen it from the frame of the window. Then we pull the window out. If we buck it, we put a buck in and then slide the window in. If no buck, then we just slide a new window in. We butt it close to the old window stucco edge. Then we use coil (some use a vinyl stick tape), and apply it to the outside edge of the window to the block/stucco. Caulk both sides of the coil edges and move on to the next window.

If in a wood frame and stucco, basically the same except you sometimes have to cut the stucco more with a grinder, and watch out for a drip cap.

With a flange window, you can sometimes get away with just trimming the flange, but if you buck it, or the stucco is built out differently, you would have to trim anyways.

We sometimes us a SilverLine 2110 on water areas for those that want to be cheap, they have a flange and it can make installtion faster in block, but sometimes slower in stucco.
grampy wrote:Just replied to the other post to you TLH. Spoke with PGT and they said the 2200 series is what I would need to order if I wanted to install in stucco.Maybe that is the series you install in your area in your last post to me. Thanks

grampy

#5 Post by grampy »

TLH, you say the PGT 2200 is more expensive but what are you comparing it to?

TLHWINDOWS

#6 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

grampy wrote:TLH, you say the PGT 2200 is more expensive but what are you comparing it to?

Im comparing it to the 2300. At least the last time I checked. The 2200 was another company that PGT bought out if I remember correctly. Heavy duty window, heck the frame of the SH in that series is 3 1/4" and the DH is 4". The 2200 has a block and tackle lift system, and you will need to make sure you use the Argon/Solar Ban 70 setup to meet the tax credit.

Not that any of that is a bad thing, but things that they may not tell you.

Don't know what price points they are going with down were you are so it is hard to compare sometimes.

grampy

#7 Post by grampy »

Waiting for a quote now on the 2200 series with the climate control pkg.argon gas solarban 70xl dual pane and grids. Will let you know the quote as soon I get it. I would like to have used the 2360 but the rep at PGT said it would not be as good as the 2200.Thanks

TLHWINDOWS

#8 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

grampy wrote:Waiting for a quote now on the 2200 series with the climate control pkg.argon gas solarban 70xl dual pane and grids. Will let you know the quote as soon I get it. I would like to have used the 2360 but the rep at PGT said it would not be as good as the 2200.Thanks

Wow, I can't believe someone said that.

I like PGT, and I actually talked to my rep today, and there wasnt' even a mention of the 2200. The 2300 is there premiere window unless you want to meet Miami Dade, and the 2200 doesn't even meet that.

I'll put it this way. A 2200 requires 14 screws to secure it properly to meet code. The 2300, needs 6.

Anyway, I'm not knocking the 2200, but I'd like to see the price. I'm a Gorell dealer too, and If I'm looking to move out of the 2300 price range, I'm moving into a Gorell, not another PGT brand.

grampy

#9 Post by grampy »

Why was I told that the 2360 would not work on a stucco install? If it has a fin will that work for stucco or do I need one with flange. I think the Gorell is out of my price range.

TLHWINDOWS

#10 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Thats the thing, you don't need a fin, thats typically a nailing fin, and you don't need a flange. Really, we just did a stucco house with the 2360, and I'll be doing another in a week or two.

What kind of house do you have? Block or Stick?

grampy

#11 Post by grampy »

Well now I am going to need to hold off on ordering windows until I call PGT again and find out what is going on.What type of windows were removed before installing the PGT.My building is concrete. I was told that it depended on how the old ones were installed as far as flush with the stucco or set in about 4 inches.If there are any other members that have installed PGT 2360 series I would like to have their comments. Thanks

TLHWINDOWS

#12 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

The last house we did, had flanged windows on the outside of the block. The flanges were almost an 1" on either side. It was concrete stucco, so we pulled the windows, and re-stucco'd to the windows. If you use a flanged window, they want you to stucco to over the flange of the new window. Either way its the same install, just a different window.

The one before that was a newer stucco house with the stucco wrapped to the window. We cut out the window and slid a new window to the stucco, sealed, capped the window.

The one we are going to do next is a block house, flanged windows, but the windows are flanged to a buck and tucked into the opening. We will remove the window, the buck and install the 2360, then cap it.

Its funny, becuase a Gorell does not have a built in flange, they just sell a snap in for it. The only thing a flange would do is stop the window at a certian point and then you would still have to seal it up.

grampy

#13 Post by grampy »

Thanks TLH now I don't know what to look for as far as window MFG or type. Guess I don't know enough about windows to ask for what I want. As far as installers go I am sure some just want to install the easiest window and not worry about doing any modifications to the opening forr the type of window the buyer likes.Will have to keep looking.Thanks for the help.