Confusion over window replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tilly

Confusion over window replacement

#1 Post by tilly »

I've read most of the posts regarding those of us trying to replace alot of windows. All of the replies seem to trash whatever the poster is looking at, saying "there are much better windows out there" but then not telling us what those windows are. would someone please list the windows out there in rank order from best to worst, regardless of price. we can decide what to pay. thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Confusion over window replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Saying one window is "best" is like asking a bunch of people what the best pizza is.

There are a ton of different answers.

Well regarded manufactures (in no particular order) are Simonton, Soft-Lite, Okna, Gorell, Sunrise, etc.

Hope this helps.

TLHWINDOWS

#3 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

What WOW said. There are a ton of manufactures out there and their products can differ behind the scenes.

Those are probably some of the top manufactures, especially up North. Mine would be

Gorell
Simonton
PGT

We can't get OKNA, Sunrise or Soft Lite here.

mtmconsumer

#4 Post by mtmconsumer »

Hi Tilly,

My wife and I just purchased Soft-Lite Element windows (casements) for our house and are very please with both the look, energy numbers, and functionality.

I have a post below titled something like (Soft-Lite Elements Installed - My Review) that has my write-up on both the install and what we think about the windows, I have also incuded some pics in that post as well.

pondscum

#5 Post by pondscum »

Re the trashing of whatever windows the poster is looking at. I think that is because the windows most people look at when they start window shopping really are not very good choices. Looking back on my own process last year, I started out looking at the advertising flyers I was getting in the mail from RBA, Corning, NewPro, and the like. Turns out these are all way overpriced, sleazy high-pressure sales pitches, etc -- after the first one, I decided no mas. So, the next most obvious choice seems to be Home Depot/Lowes, except that their windows really are cheap junk. If you call some random building contractor out of the Yellow Pages, you're likely to end up with something like Alside, which they can get for cheap from local supply houses, but which is just a poorly-designed window.

Anyway, if you poke around and read the archives, you really will see the same set of window brands being recommended over and over by the pros. Look at the manufacturers' web sites.... most of them have a dealer locator directory or a web form to request a quote. Another strategy I tried was using Google searches like "softlite boston", "simonton windows massachusetts", etc which often turned up web sites of local installers who handle those brands.

monyet

#6 Post by monyet »

pondscum wrote:Re the trashing of whatever windows the poster is looking at. I think that is because the windows most people look at when they start window shopping really are not very good choices. Looking back on my own process last year, I started out looking at the advertising flyers I was getting in the mail from RBA, Corning, NewPro, and the like. Turns out these are all way overpriced, sleazy high-pressure sales pitches, etc -- after the first one, I decided no mas. So, the next most obvious choice seems to be Home Depot/Lowes, except that their windows really are cheap junk. If you call some random building contractor out of the Yellow Pages, you're likely to end up with something like Alside, which they can get for cheap from local supply houses, but which is just a poorly-designed window.

Anyway, if you poke around and read the archives, you really will see the same set of window brands being recommended over and over by the pros. Look at the manufacturers' web sites.... most of them have a dealer locator directory or a web form to request a quote. Another strategy I tried was using Google searches like "softlite boston", "simonton windows massachusetts", etc which often turned up web sites of local installers who handle those brands.
+1 with pondscum

I bumped into this board when researching windows, from the stories read here and the sister board, I just never bothered with WW, Gilkey, HD, Lowes. Instead, I called up local supply houses, ABC Supply, Norandex, Richards Building Supply, MD Building supply and asked them for references of window installers, chances are you'll come across a good installer because the supply houses don't want to sell windows to fly-by-night window installers because it will reflect back on the supply houses and affect business, at least that's been my experience. Or better yet, visit this board and tell us your location ( not you Tilly per se, if you don't want to) and chances are someone here installs in your area. Just my 2 cents.

buddy110

#7 Post by buddy110 »

+1 with pondscum

Instead, I called up local supply houses, ABC Supply, Norandex, Richards Building Supply, MD Building supply and asked them for references of window installers, chances are you'll come across a good installer because the supply houses don't want to sell windows to fly-by-night window installers .[/quote]

Now that's some funny stuff right there :lol:

monyet

#8 Post by monyet »

buddy110 wrote:
Instead, I called up local supply houses, ABC Supply, Norandex, Richards Building Supply, MD Building supply and asked them for references of window installers, chances are you'll come across a good installer because the supply houses don't want to sell windows to fly-by-night window installers .

Now that's some funny stuff right there :lol:[/quote]

Now that you mentioned it, it can be seen as humorous :oops: :roll:

tilly

#9 Post by tilly »

ok, i am in oregon. who are the good guys here??

also, you mention simonton as good but home depot as bad, and HD uses simonton windows - so i am confused.

am i better off with anderson 100 at $650 each or alside excaliber at $700-$800 each?
i have 14 casement windows to replace.

what is better, fiberglass or vinyl?

THANK YOU for your help!

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

The negativity directed towards HD has more to do with the inconsistent installation quality many consumers experience. The only issues I've ever seen discussed in regards to HD and Simonton are the comments that you can usually get a little better pricing and a better install by going with a local Simonton dealer.

pondscum

#11 Post by pondscum »

Around here (Boston area), HD sells American Craftsman and Jeld-Wen vinyl windows, plus I think Andersen 200/400. I don't think I saw any Simonton windows or literature on display in their stores here, even for custom order.

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

HD only sells Simonton on an installed basis thru In Home Services. It is not available as a DIY window.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

The Home Depot's in the Minneapolis area will sell the Simonton's.You will have to ask because they don't promote or try to sell them much at all.