Imperial LS right choice for Alaska new construction?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
7pauls

Imperial LS right choice for Alaska new construction?

#1 Post by 7pauls »

Great site. Have a few questions. Picking out windows for a new house we're building. 2579sf with unfinished basement. R40 walls, R50 ceiling, radiant floors using a Seton wood boiler and Bock oil water heater for backup.

Based on a well insulated home, would it be worth spending top $ for triple pane windows like the elements, or would something like the Imperial LS double pane with insulated darkening shades work just as well for less $?

Any dealers in AK?

Thanks!

Erik

Windows on Washington

Re: Imperial LS right choice for Alaska new construction?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Double pane with a high SHGC on the South (and maybe West) facing windows.

Triple pane Krypton on all others.

You may want to even consider something like those windows that have R10 glass package options based on your wall R Value

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Softlite is not available up there. You can buy a few different brands through Allied Building Supply, Lowes or various local lumberyards.
There is also a window made up there that is very efficient that has triple pane called Northerm Windows. They have european tilt n turns too.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes.

They have the suspended 5 layer glass if I am not mistaken too Dave.

With and R-50 wall, that window is going to be a huge weak link in that climate.

I would also look into cellular/energy shades so that you can get all the passive solar energy during the days and close the blinds at night.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The Elements and Imperial LS are basically the same window.... Allied sells Softlite (at least around here)

Window4U (IL)

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

There's not near the window brands in Alaska that you'll find down here. Certainteed, (Polybau in the past), Andersen, Pella, Alpine, Jeldwen, Cutting Edge, Renewal and a few others.
I lived up there while I was racing sled dogs so I know the market pretty well.

Mush4U

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

That’s means you have all the qualifications to be Vice President.

randy

#8 Post by randy »

Although it would make you more qualified to be President than the one we've got. Unless of course, you've been a highly esteemed "community organizer".

7pauls

#9 Post by 7pauls »

Thanks guys, great info. called the northerm window guys, impressive specs. I'll get a quote and post the info when it comes through

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

randy wrote:Although it would make you more qualified to be President than the one we've got. Unless of course, you've been a highly esteemed "community organizer".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty sure that the McCain/Palin ticket would not have passed this lead guideline so that is good enough for me.

dmpaulus

#11 Post by dmpaulus »

I think Euroline sells in Alaska now. They are using Rehau extrusions for their casement and Tilt & Turn lines. Either of these window systems are probably at the pinnacle for the North American market. IMO even the best double hung has too much air infiltration for such a northern climate.

Window4U (IL)

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

dmpaulus wrote:IMO even the best double hung has too much air infiltration for such a northern climate.
The best rate for doublehungs are in windows like the Softlite Elements and Okna 800. I think a .01 rate like these two have is pretty good, don't you? ....Especially when you can also get a U-factor of .15 with both of these using triple/krypton/duralite spacer.

But, my point is mute as they are not available up there unless you drive them there yourself. :mrgreen:

dmpaulus

#13 Post by dmpaulus »

The Soft-Lite and OKNA are very nice double-hungs. If I HAD to have a hung window because of architectural style they would be on my list. That being said:

1. I don't like single strength glass. A projected window (casement or Tilt & Turn) can take three panes of double strength glass. I'd really blike to see some hung windows set up for 1 1/8 IG units. You'd get great performance with only argon, and have room for three nice pieces of 3mm glass.

2. The projected window can get nearly the same glass performance with argon as krypton, because there is room for two 1/2 inch spaces. As diffusion occurs, the argon units will lose less performance.

3. The smaller spaces and single strength glass of the hung windows makes it more likely glass will kiss on extreme cold days. Triple pane reduces, but does not remove, this threat.

4. I don't like normal foam-filling. It is often just a cheaper alternative to multiple chambers. Yes, it might give a tiny little bit better insulation than a well designed multi-chamber unit, but you run the risk of weld contamination. (If you ever look at how Passivhaus windows (super high performance windows for passive solar houses) are made out of glass fiber reinforced PVC foam inserts are put in after cutting and cut short of the ends of the extrusions. Germans are paranoid about weld contamination :D )

5. Units might test at 0.01 now for air infiltration (The newer weatherstrips really are getting better.), but will not hold performance like a dual or triple compression seal. Also, the test is at 25 mph. If you ever witness a double hung in a structural/air infiltration test, you'd see how the sashes start to bow at higher wind speeds. The tilt-in design with just corner supports is just to flexy, even in a structurally sound window. Air infiltration goes up much faster than linearly with wind speed as a result. Overpressure closes a casement sash tighter, and the Tilt & Turns have full-perimeter locking (if they are good) and such heavy extrusions that sash flex is nonexistent. (At Fensterbau this year I saw a waterproof window made this way, as in waterproof for for flood protection, not rain protection :shock: )

The short version of my opinion: high performance double hungs for replacement where you need them for style, high performance projected windows everywhere else.