Grand Rapids Vinyl Replacement Window Estimates

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TommyJMac

Grand Rapids Vinyl Replacement Window Estimates

#1 Post by TommyJMac »

Live in Grand Rapids, Michigan and am looking for replacement windows this year that qualify for the Tax credit. We *shouldn't* be in the house for more than 7-8 more years, but do want at least a decent window installed. I am aware that the quality of the Install is the largest factor and all bids posted are from reputable business with good BBB ratings and in business for 10yrs or greater. What is the best bang for the buck window estimate i have received? Any Gotcha's a newbie should be on the look out for? the quotes are apples to apples as far as services go (remove, haul, trim) and i know that the quality of the listed windows vary greatly, but it is difficult for me to determine if the bids accurately display the quality differences. 11 double hung windows were quoted.

i have listed the below in what i perceive to be highest to lowest quality. let me know if i am close.

Quotes.
$5000 Gorell 5300 (Eco Master glass option)
$5000 Simonton 9800 (low e Argon, 1" Thermo
$4000 Ply Gem Premium, Energy Package Plus
$4000 Sunrise "standard" with Ultra U glass option
$4400 Gorell 5155 (Eco Master glass option)(FG reinforced meeting rail)
$3300 Ply Gem Pro (LoE3 366)(additional r-core insulation)
$3600 Simonton 5050
$5000 Polar Seal
$3600 Alside Ultramaxx (low e/Argon)(Climatech pkg)
$3600 Pella Centera
$5000 Pella Encompass(due to their 25% off deal)
$3700 Comfortworld 4000 (Alside Excalibur)

looking for input. what are the better "bang for the buck" offers i have received? thanks, and sorry for the length of the topic
Last edited by TommyJMac on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 8 times in total.

TLHWINDOWS

Re: Grand Rapids Vinyl Replacement Window Estimates

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Are those Simontons installed? Not a fan of the pocket sill but that seems like a good price.

If you want to stay in the $3600 range, I would stick with the Simontons. If you want to go higher, either of the Gorell's or the Simonton 9800 (Should be the equivalent to the 5500).

TommyJMac

#3 Post by TommyJMac »

TLHWINDOWS wrote:Are those Simontons installed? Not a fan of the pocket sill but that seems like a good price.

If you want to stay in the $3600 range, I would stick with the Simontons. If you want to go higher, either of the Gorell's or the Simonton 9800 (Should be the equivalent to the 5500).

per them "installed and wrapped in aluminum"

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Holy cow! Did you actually sit through that many presentations??? :shock: I like the Great Lakes/PlyGem or Gorell (either choice), the best out of your choices, although the Simonton's are decent as well. On the Great Lakes, I'd make sure that you are getting the Premium Series/Grandview 5000 at that price.

TommyJMac

#5 Post by TommyJMac »

HomeSealed wrote:Holy cow! Did you actually sit through that many presentations??? :shock: I like the Great Lakes/PlyGem or Gorell (either choice), the best out of your choices, although the Simonton's are decent as well. On the Great Lakes, I'd make sure that you are getting the Premium Series/Grandview 5000 at that price.

Heck no :)

i ask them to quote through email and that i don't want any sales calls. they can come out and measure when i'm not there if they want.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a good price on both the 9800 and 5300.

TommyJMac

#7 Post by TommyJMac »

Windows on Washington wrote:That is a good price on both the 9800 and 5300.
Thanks for the answer. Which is considered better "in the industry"

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on who you ask. You would probably get the board split down the middle on this one.

Very similar performance data, however, I think the Simonton 9800 is prettier and that would give it the nod in my book.

buddy110

#9 Post by buddy110 »

Honestly, I think the 5100 gorell is a great bargain, providing it's the 5155. It has considerably more viewing are than the 5300 and equally energy efficient

TommyJMac

#10 Post by TommyJMac »

buddy110 wrote:Honestly, I think the 5100 gorell is a great bargain, providing it's the 5155. It has considerably more viewing are than the 5300 and equally energy efficient

They said that the 5155 was included in the pricing. also it is offered with the Eco Master window option to qualify for the tax credit.

Are you saying that at $4200 the "low-end" Gorell is superior to the "high-end" Alside Ultramaxx?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes.

That is what he is saying.

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

+1

I also agree the Gorell 5155 is a better window than the Alside Ultra Maxx.

buddy110

#13 Post by buddy110 »

TommyJMac wrote:
buddy110 wrote:Honestly, I think the 5100 gorell is a great bargain, providing it's the 5155. It has considerably more viewing are than the 5300 and equally energy efficient

They said that the 5155 was included in the pricing. also it is offered with the Eco Master window option to qualify for the tax credit.

Are you saying that at $4200 the "low-end" Gorell is superior to the "high-end" Alside Ultramaxx?
Yes. Gorell's 5100 is a very nice window.